Urgennttt helpppp

it was a second hand one for 35 quid. it sounds like its much easier to buy the right one

the engine started every time (and still starts and runs) but very loud. i never ran it more than 30 secs

Not sure about this one, better to do a compression test first as Joe suggested, when mine had jumped a couple teeth was cranking over but didn’t start, and there was not further damage !

So the fact that it starts and runs is a bad thing? i thought the opposite :pensive:

Starting and running the car with the timing off is the bad thing. Everything else is down to luck. None of us can tell you if you have damage. It is only a guess as to the likely hood. You will have to do a compression test to know the answer.

1 Like

IMHO the 1st picture looks like they are perfectly lined up ? The 2nd pic looks like the crank (not cam) needs a slight rotation to line up with the cam timing marks…without adjusting anything… but still best do double check. along with the timing mark on the crankshaft.
https://i.postimg.cc/wj5qLpM5/screenshot-34.png

I think picture 1 is the front bank of cylinders and picture 2 is the rear, hence the two banks are about two teeth out of time with each other. Looking at each bank in isolation, the two cams appear to be correctly timed with each other if you see what I mean. I wouldn’t start or crank the engine anymore until a compression test is done as described by Joe and Spiros.

1 Like

Wow, you guys are greatttt. Honestly much appreciated.its getting looked into as we speak. I will find out how lucky i am in a few hours :relaxed:

1 Like

Fingers crossed for you :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Ah, good spot Matt. My mistake. In my defense it’s about 3 years since I did mine :zipper_mouth_face:

As you rightly saycheck everything is correctly aligned first before starting the engine again

No worries. I did exactly the same thing when I first looked at the photos until I realised what I was looking at!

1 Like

Hoooorayyyyy. Timing belt changed, alligned and no damage :partying_face: . The noisy power steering is still there but witha working engine doesnt evenbug me :rofl:

4 Likes

Just drove it home and it drives great. However, i think there is a cooling issue. The new pump and fans do their job so it cools down but the fan is definetly doing overtime. Im going to change the coolant cap tomorrow to see it resolves the problem. Also, where can i find the smaller belt v grooved one i think for the power steering?

I’ve just ordered one from Ebay ( MD172376) Just type in 333712751240 into the Ebay search bar. It fits my GTO 1992 Non turbo. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/H5aSpq4FFWE

Tell me what u think of how the engine sounds

I just took it for a test drive and a few issues. When i pushed it a little bit it started to overheat. It came down but when i drive over 3000revs it shoots up. I turned the heat up but there werent any, its only blowing cold/warmish air. I noticed The coolant cap is worn and leaking and im getting new one tom. Can it be the reason?

Thats the one I bought but the one on the car is thinner. I can’t find it anywhere but evilempire you don’t have it in stock. I got this belt and also a power steering pump (used) which I can’t use on mine so if anybody needs it they can have it for free.

Has the cooling system been drained recently and was it properly bled after refilling?

Yes this is how i did it, correct me if its wrong. Upon refilling the coolant all the way i left cap open, ran the engine and allowed air to come out, refilled when coolant level dropped. However i done it for about 5 mins. Not enough?

New cap and a good burp as Matt said should do the trick !