Urgennttt helpppp

i had ordered the belt, tensioner pulley, water pump, power steering pump and aux belt already, i guess its best to take your advice Joe and wait for it all to get fitted to enjoy driving it without having to worry “what if…” (although its painful) :frowning:

1 Like

and i reckon the reason its out was due to a faulty power steering pump which leaked fluid everywhere (along with me spraying alot of wd40 and messing with the tensioners while tring to fix power steering issue)

Dang… poor baby :sob:… that’s why I got the sohc version with non interference engine. Go ahead and take a shot with realigning the cam crank and belt. The timing kit is cheap. There are a few good videos on YouTube that you can watch to learn how it’s done. That will save you thousands in labor costs. If the engine is busted, you’re only out like $80 for the timing kit. Best of luck dude. I hope your engine is ok. If it is busted, swap it out for a non interference engine. That way you never have to worry about this again. Those engineers really should have used a chain or made all of them non interference.

on top of all that I received, well purchased the wrong power steering pump (grooved rather than V shaped). I also received the wrong timing belt as despite the seller claiming it “fits” my car it simply wont. :frowning: water pump yet to be received

When was the timing belt last changed?
My advice is to make sure you replace the tensioner as well if you are not SURE it is new and fresh. Thats your best guarantee for keeping the timing belt in the right place going forward.

Like people have already stated, you can reset the timing, but I would first make to understand why it slipped or that things are OK going forward. The latter will be acomplished by going through the change procedure from start to finish. There are guides and Joe mentioned he will publish a video shortly. Do not start the engine or crank the engine. You can break the valves and damage your pistons if you do.

Hi Ikky
I am assuming that you are in the UK as you mentioned rac and aa. Did you check out the Joes Gems section on this forum?
You would have received the correct parts fast and cheap.

2 Likes

I noticed abit too late :frowning: i th8nk im still gna hve to go for it

i couldnt just let her sit there

I have an issue. I got all the right parts delivered to change time belt, tensioners, water pump and power steering g pump. However nobody wants to touch it. I spoke to 5 mechanics and they all made excuses, any ideas as to why?

Sadly way too many think that these cars are horrible to work on, but infact they are not that bad… Sure the engine compartment looks cramped and all, but I have worked on alot of cars that are a much bigger headache then these (BMW and Audi for example)

I got one more guy to hear bck frm. If not im gna attempt it myself :frowning:

There are guides available, so you will be able to do it yourself if you can’t find anyone. If you run into issues, people here can probably help guide you as well.

Think of it as a blessing that they have refused the job. I prefer a garage that accepts when a job is out of their skill set rather than a have a go back street mechanic. I have seen so many horror stories where they have bodged up the job and then tried to blame the parts or car. This is a full days work, even for the experienced so expect a labour bill alone around £600 if you are in the UK. If you have a good stock of tools, it can be done at home with some instruction if you have some mechanical knowledge. The cam belt video is being done 9th aug and will be uploaded a few days later. If you are in the UK, I can do it for you. Good luck

4 Likes

Perfect sentiment, unfortunately there are too many mechanics out there who say they can fix anything but indeed they do have problems sometimes. We 3k owners tend to have a bit more passion for out cars and want them in good hands, I turned down a “mobile mechanic” just because I felt a good shop would give some peace of mind.

hello to all my fellow GTO Lovers :slight_smile: I am back on the GTO project and just want to find out some info to put my mind at ease. My MK1 had skipped timing (probably due to my stupidity of playing with tensioners) while it was stationary. I started the engine a few times and but i did not drive it at all. Now, I got new timing belt kit, and water pump and FINALLY found a mechanic who is willing to work on it. In your opinion, what is the likely hood of the valves being bent considering engine was not run for a long time and car was not driven?

It depends on how many teeth you were out. One or two teeth, you might get away with but many more and you could be looking for some new valves. It also depends on which pulley slipped. It is easy to do a compression test before spending time on fitting a new belt and pump. Just remove the belt and turn all the cams so that all the valves are closed then you can do a compression test.

Thank you for your quick response Joe :+1:t2: its a couple so hope for the best. Also, i was going to change the power steering pump too but the one i currently have on the car is the V grooved type and the replacement i bough came with multi groove. Is it possible to swap them around?

i think its a couple of teeth, what do you reckon?

Too hard to say.
You can change the steering pump over but you will also need to change the steering pump tensioner arm and crankshaft pulley and steering pump belt.
Where did you get the steering pump from and how much? These are now obsolete.

Did the engine actually started or it was cranking over but did not start ?