Thought I would be the first to show

Yes Annabel, depending on what the problem is, if its a simple waste gate issue then I’ve known a couple of these cars for some reason the split pin that holds the actually waste gate actuator to the waste gate seems to rot away and then the two become detached, meaning that once it begins to make any actual boost the valve just fly’s open and you loose it all, which could also explain your whistling. failing that, just double check all of you boost pipes and vacuum hoses.
I hope this advice wasn’t too late and managed to help with some tips before you potentially go through the trouble of taking the turbo off when it was just something simple.

P.S. If it is the waste gate actuator that has come loose then you can put it back on and put a new split pin in without removing the turbo or engine, if your hands are small enough then you can just about reach down there, just watch out for the sharp engine mounts Etc.

Hope this helped - Toby

Hi Tony thanks for the reply… I’ve checked the pin for the waste gate arm and it’s attached… i am
Going to remove the waste gate actuator to have a look… however I don’t have the means to apply pressure to see if the actuator works as should…
we’ve checked all vac hoses and checked intake manifold as well as changed intake gaskets, nothing I’ve done so far has helped… I double checked the front turbo actuator physically pulling the arm
Which does move. The waste gate on the turbo is nice and free… will check every on the rear turbo tomorrow…
I’m genuinely just baffled as to what it could be… take one step forward and a million back HHaha :see_no_evil::joy::joy:

Okay, once you have the turbo off, it’s not a professional way and never the best way but it’s also an easy way of checking.
Once you have the waste gate off try just pulling the arm out of the waste gate actuator, it should have a lot of resistance, it will pull out but you should have to put in a fair bit of effort. If it’s easy to move then chances are it’s probably shot so replace it.
Again, hope this helps

2 Likes

Thank you soo much! :blush:

Beautifully done!!! I love the chrome accents in the engine.

Hello everyone. New member hailing from the Great White North of Canada. I’ve been following Joe on YouTube for a while now and I’ve found his videos to be super helpful in restoring my 1991 GTO. I’ve owned the car for 6 months now. I started with a full underbody rustmort and undercoating. Rebuilt all four corners (axles, joints, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires), 60k timing job, coolant flush, fabricated and TIG welded a full SS exhaust system, replaced and restored a bunch of the internal panels, leather wrapped the wheel with local hide, fixed the cluster and ECU, and some rewiring. Next I’m going to pull the transmission and do some preventative maintainence. Here’s my baby. She still need alot of work but runs great and pulls hard.

5 Likes

Very nice!
What steering wheel did you use?

I want to keep the OEM one but it could do with a retrim so considering trying that or sourcing a stock looking replacement.

Looking great. Welcome to the forum.

Hey there. The brand is called “Personal”.

1 Like

Hi all

Here’s my 1990 GTO I brought it Sept 99 it’s my daily driver and still going strong

It’s good to see all your amazing looking cars
Hope to chat to you all and swop tips
Darren

9 Likes

Love those wheels :heart::+1:t4: What are they?

1 Like

What an amazing shine. Is that clear coat or 2pak paint ?

Hi the wheels are Jade R ‘S they are 19” I’m running 295x30x19 tyres I’ve had them on for a good few Years now Sadly they don’t make them anymore which is a shame

2 Likes

Thanks Joe,
It’s the original paint so I’m unsure what it would be let me know if you want detail one of your cars for you or your 4x4

really nice car that, lovely shine

Thanks buddy much appreciated I’ve tried to keep him looking nice
You have a great looking car yourself & a great shine too 14 years is amazing and good to see :+1:

Thanks for the reply, those wheels truly suited that car. Great choice. :+1:t4:

Beautiful… just beautiful🤗. I love the Bra too, gives it a high class touch. I want to get one for mine so no more rock chips occur.

Lovely color! That was the color of my 93 celica. I was going to get a 3000GT in that color too but the car I found in that color had transmission problems so I went with Red which is beautiful too. They all are because they are in 3000GTs :joy:

1 Like

You should post anyways, a true 3000GT Enthusiast sees beyond the blemishes. I’ve been watching a few guys on YouTube restore and upgrade their cars piece by piece and with every upgrade or restoration there is a sense of fulfillment for me and It’s not even my car :joy:. Would love to see your before and after pictures when you’re all done! Cheers :beers: mate!

1 Like