Rear Sub Frame Strip down

My lines had badly deteriorated so i took them into my local Pertex where they stripped them down and refurbed the metal pipe sections and put in new hoses. The lines run the same route as the original.

Either way Jhardy81 your doing some great work.

5 Likes

I took the lines off of the subframe and used a wire wheel and stripped them down. Then primed and painted them. The control arms can be found at volkmetalcraft.com

1 Like

That is sooooo sexy. Looks fantastic

I’ve got several rear sub frames sitting at my place and I’ve been in the process of partially stripping them and swapping the best bits to make one nice sub frame. Mind you, they’re in much better condition that this was so no way am I gonna dismantle control arms and stuff. These photos are gold.

1 Like

Thank u Angela. I’m in Jacksonville fl. Where are u located

Apart from a complete disassembly and assembly perhaps some cleaning, did you powder coat everything yourself or a shop?

I had a shop powder coat… too many books and crannies in that subframe to evein begin doing it ur self… needed an acid bath first

I did the 4ws lines… control arms were purchased powder coated.

I bet it costed a lot, but great job I must say, that is my next to do list, I have already finished with the entire front end, what about yours, does it look as good as the rear? I have done powder coating back in the day but moved to ceramic coating ( Cerakote ) 4 years ago.
A few pictures to share of a dual oil cooler set up, meaning keeping the stock side mount oil cooler and installing an after market front set up.

1 Like

Hi guys, can someone tell me if this top piece pulls straight out. I have taken a bolt out that was straight through the arm, there appears to be a rubber slieve of some sort around the neck of it ?

Its ok guys, I see Vardy’s photo above, I do believe that is the part on the bench, I just have to figure a way of getting it out !

Jardy

After u have taken the bolt out… it’s just in there with rubber. Just keep wiggling and pulling. Use a screwdriver in the end hole to pull it out and maybe spray some lubricant inside… it will come out

I hard these trialing arms powder coated also

And since u have it off replace inner and outer bearings

Thanks Jhardy, ill give that a go. I have the outer bearing and seal off after watching Joe’s video, but the abs cog is in the way of me removing the inner bearing. Did you take the abs cog off too ?
And could you tell me where you ordered the replacements from, as the OEM number is throwing up bearings online which are not the same diameter as the one i took out. :thinking:

Hi Guys, I am aware that the Upper & Lower Control Arms are available to purchase as complete package, But does anyone know if its possible to buy just the Ball joints and if so is there an OEM number for each as they appear to be different diameters ? Thanks

Ball Joints Upper & Lower

All the rear ball joints are the same - have swapped them on my car - the part number is Moog K9372.

I believe Rob at EE also sells them separately as well.

Great thanks, ill shop around for those so, cheers mate :+1:

The abs sensors were very hard to get off… just take your time and twist and pull and use a lubricant like fluid film. I replaced all my control arms with aftermarket. Eliminates the need for the moog ball joint

Yeah I was very conscious that they seem to be a different type of metal and was afraid of breaking a cog, So I bought a puller set for this type of thing. I think i’ll leave those until last. I have all the old bushings out of the subframe except one more inner sleeve. They were all very stubborn as they were well rusted in there, Unfortunately it came down to hammer and chisel. I also need to do some cutting and welding on the upper control arms, then i’m ready to send for blasting and powder coating. Getting there …