Twin turbo engine in a JDM SR?

So i’m pretty new here and have a JDM GTO SR and was wondering about complications with swapping in a twin turbo 6G72 to replace the standard NA version it came with, are there any major differences between the twin turbo model and the SR besides the actual engine + trans and the active areo?

If you are looking to turn a na car into a turbo model completely, there are a huge number of differences. If you just want to make a na engine into turbo car there is just a lot of changes.
eg
clocks, wiring loom, ecu, vacuum system, oil coolers, intercoolers, hoses, fuel pump, exhaust, etc etc.
I’m sure you get the idea.
It seems real easy until you get down to the nitty gritty stuff.
If I haven’t put you off yet, I will be doing one of these conversions later in the year but I have a lot of other videos to do first.

1 Like

Any idea how much a conversion would cost? Would it be easier to swap in a factory turbo engine and transmission as apposed to modifying an NA engine to be turbo? Heard mixed things, i know the NA transmissions are weak though especially early model years (My car is a 1992)

I would never ever modify an NA to turbo… It is as you say problems with the transmission, and the engine itself is not as strong as many other engines… It functions fine in stock form, but they dont take to well to being modified, or atleast not if you want them to last in the long run…

Also putting turbo on a NA involves alot of work besides just bolting on the turbo…

I would much rather enjoy the car you have and be on the lookout for another VR4 if you are based in UK as it looks like the prices there still are way lower then in other countries.

1 Like

If I answer your question I will probably open up a can of worms because I know that other people will have different opinions so just to be clear, this is my opinion based on my personal experience and not scientific fact based on years of research on thousands of cars.
Although the na and turbo engines share the same basic block, they are different from then on. You can fit the turbos but you will risk damage to the engine.
If you want to go down the turbo route, you are better of buying a used turbo engine and fitting that.
As for the transmission. They did make modifications to later ones but there are plenty of the early ones still running perfectly. A lot of the problems are found when people drive their cars hard from stop light to stop light. This puts a heavy load on the transmission and transfer box. The same problems are also found in the newer transmissions when people modify the engines for more power.
If you really want to go down the turbo route it will cost you thousands if you buy all the parts separately, especially if you want good quality parts. The cheapest way to do it is to just buy a turbo car with bad shell and swap the parts over.
I am completely with Johan on this one. Modification of these cars only leads to problems. They are sports touring cars and not racing cars. If you maintain them properly, drive them sensibly and do not modify them, they will last forever.
Thats my personal opinion but it would be good to hear from others who disagree with Johan or me.
Please could replies be based on personal experience and not something that you read on facebook or in a forum.

3 Likes

The main thing to consider is the engine and drive train components; the turbo models have hardened and reinforced parts to deal with the added strain the boost will add all the way from the motor to the tires. The more powerful boost system you install, the stronger the components will need to be so you won’t blow out the motor, transmission(gearbox), universal joints, and so on. That’s the very reason buying a wrecked turbo car and swapping everything over is the cheapest and safest rout to take when going from n/a to turbo. Even upgrading a turbo modle to get higher horse power, you will need to work from the rear of the car forward, getting components that can handle the abuse the higher hp will dish out, i.e. breaks system, differential, u_joints, drive shafts, transfer case, transmission (welding in reinforcement to the case to keep the gears from separating), and engine components. The last thing you want is to spend thousands and blow up the motor because you have more boost than your car can handle.

1 Like