TT vehicle speed sensor MB622090 - substitute found

Paul here, I have a: '92 GTO TT that has been off the road for a few years and I am recommissioning it.

One of the issues was the speedometer working erratically and all of the speed related functions would not work either (cruise, active aero, odometer etc).

(Note: During the past few days, the speedo has worked properly for about 10 minutes, during which time the cruise etc. worked as they should)

After replacing as many capacitors in the instrument panel as I could the problem persisted.

(I also had a problem with the rev counter reading half speed - this was fixed with capacitor swaps)

My next task was to fix/replace the vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox.
The part, MB622090, is as rare as rocking horse dung… it can be found at Evil Empire (fair price but lots of money) and sourced from Mitsubishi (expensive $141.00, and 70 - 90 working days delivery!)

During my search I came across a modern part, MR122305, which fits later cars (Pajero/L400/Shogun). The image of this part showed it had very similar characteristics to the correct part, MB622090. The same connector and the same drive/thread to attach to the g/box.

I then looked at a Pajero repair manual and the wiring, test procedures and stated output (4 pulses per rev) and these were all the same as for the TT.

The later part is available from ebay etc for less than £20! So I took a punt and bought one.

I’ve fitted it today and BINGO! it works.

Obviously early days yet but everything works as it should. I obviously cannot guarantee it’ll work for you as I can find no official Mitsubishi confirmation.

But I’m delighted!

9 Likes

Was it easy and direct to get to?? I have never even looked at that senser and curious about how it is placed in regards to maintanence and repairs

Relatively easy to get at. Battery, battery tray out and washer bottle placed above. This gives access to the sensor that is below the throttle body. Mine was very tight and needed a pair of small molegrips to release it. It’s a small space but not too bad. It took me under 2hrs to do mine, and that with photos :slight_smile:
See pic, if you imagine that you are looking through the battery, this is where it is.

4 Likes

Thank you very much sir :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great solution @Eastuppertoff! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Excellent bit of research and kind to share the information, great work

Best Regards

1 Like

Very useful and noted, well done sir.

1 Like

Very useful information. Love it when stuff like this happens.

1 Like

Got it working on my GTO. Way more accurate than original too!!

4 Likes