Transmission cable bracket

Hi everyone, I’v been putting my gearbox back in the car and something is puzzling me a bit. The bracket with the 4 shoulder washers/bushings still has a little movement in it when bolts are snugged up but I presume this is how it’s supposed to be, just curious as to why. Also, what transmission oil are people using in their cars these days? Thanks

What transmission type do you have? Manual or automatic?

Hi, it’s 6 speed manual.

The bracket should have play in it. I tried tightening mine last time I replaced the clutch and it made the shifter stiff. A small increase in tightening will stiffen it a lot. Unless you have real sloppy shifting, I wouldn’t tighten it. As for the fluid, you want to use 75W85 GL-4 Gear Oil. I’ve used other types of gear oil and had no ill effects, but all the forums I read say to use the one that Mitsubishi recommended because the other one will cause deterioration of some of the parts inside. So when in doubt, stick with oem grade fluids.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the input. I kinda thought that was the case but nice to get other opinions.

I’m personally using Millers 75w80 in mine, purely to see if it made shifting any better (i have a notchy 2nd gear), shifts exactly the same, i’ll probably change back to 75w85 next time.

1 Like

Yeah oil can only do so much.

I use Redline MT90 and this , it works !

1 Like

I’ve been using regular Westway MT-90 for ages in my 3000GT gearbox, no issues whatsoever.

1 Like

Had some work done to the gearbox so I was gonna run some less expensive stuff for a few hundred miles then change it to something a little bit better?