Timing Belt Replacement Nightmare

There is always a slight movement, in the picture it looks a bit much and You’ve got the noise also.

Any ideas how to resolve the issue?

This could be a few things. Bent pulley bolt , worn pulley bearings, debris stuck between pulley and engine body which might mis-align the pulley,dirt in the teeth pushing the belt to one side. Best to try and accurately locate the area where the rubbing noise is and take it from there

2 Likes

It sound like the noise is coming from near the water pump. It’s a new water pump. Any ideas???

I have a video but I don’t think I can upload videos to this forum

Can I share a youtube video of the noise?
3000GT / Stealth Timing Belt Change Noise. What is it??? - YouTube

That doesn’t sound like a belt to me, but is impossible from the video to pinpoint where is coming from.Did You do a visual check from under the wheel arch ?

Yes I did visual check. The noise is higher up. It sounds like it’s near the water pump. It’s a new OEM water pump. Could I have misaligned the o-ring when installing the water pump? Would that make a noise? I don’t see any leaks.

In the video you can see the green label on the belt every time it makes one revolution. For each revolution you’ll hear a noise. It kinda sounds like a heart beat

this might be a dumb question but can you hear this sound with the timing covers on?

That does not sound like the belt it’s more metal on metal to me.

2 Likes

Yes. You can hear it with the covers on

Any idea what it might be??

Try using a stethoscope to try to pin point it out.its hard to tell from the video what it might be.just check the crank pulley is seated properly

1 Like

Try turning on the air-con … if you have it. If the noise gets better or worse I would suspect a misaligned clutch. Sounds like thin metal rubbing. I’d also try to listen to and view the tensioner

1 Like

is your cam gears on correctly? you should have the double timing marks facing the rear and single DOT facing front

By the pictures seems they are on right, most oem timing belts have the same width, not sure about other aftermarket belts, the belt should sit pretty much flush on the front face of the gears leaving 1 to 2 mm at the rear.

Could very well be a loose water pump gear, that will eventually fall of causing serious damage, but that will be hard to check unless the water pump has been disassembled. A stethoscope can be used to pin point the noise.

1 Like

No change with AC on or off

1 Like

Would water pump gear make a noise with each revolution of the belt?

The noise is in sync with each revolution of the timing belt. You can see the green label on the timing belt every time it makes one revolution.

When I started the car this morning the timing belt didn’t make the noise for about the first 10 seconds but then went back to the noise again. Does the belt get tighter after the car starts up??

Here is another video of the timing belt sounding like garbage. The noise still sounds like it is coming from near the water pump.

Could it be a bad water pump bearing?

yes if the internal water pump gear is bad it will make a noise, but then again its hard to say, the noise sounds like metal to metal contact, you definitely need to get yourself a stethoscope and use it so you can pin point the exact location of this weird noise. What year is this GTO? what has been done to it recently? also does the noise dissipate when you rev up the engine? At this time a stethoscope is the correct method to locate the area of the noise and everything else is a guessing game.

I would like to add this, its obvious that that timing belt tensioner has been removed and installed again is that correct? When you start the car the oil pressure when it builds up activates the tensioner which in turn places the required tension on the belt. Check the tensioner and the pin location.

1991 everything is stock

replaced all belts, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, tensioner pulley.

I’ll have to get a stethoscope. With my ear, I can tell it is loudest near the water pump area