Terrible sound.. any ideas or advice? (With Video)

Hi guys… new sound started recently near the belt. The sound only happens below 2k rpm and goes away after driving it but comes back the next day when starting. She is at around 133,000km and had essentially a 60k service done 15,000km ago, but that was all the way back in 2007.

I’m planning on getting my 120k kit together soon anyway. But as I’m still quite new to the mechanical scene I’ll be getting a shop to do it for me. But in the meantime I would love to hear any advice at all on my noise…

Here is the video of the sound…

Does the noise comes back after you stop driving and engine idles or it only comes back after a long time of inactivity ?

1 Like

The sound comes back after not driving it. I could drive around for half hour and the sound goes away. But if I park for a few hours and start the car, the noise is there again. I did find one thread on 3sx that seemed similar to my sound but there was no answer unfortunately.

So the noise occurs after everything has cooled down, check that the belts and pulleys are all in good nick and tied, has to be something no right there.

1 Like

Mine did a simelar noise when starting up… Especially when cold, but the noise went away after a short while when driving, but it always came back when the car was cold… It turned out to be the Alternator and the ALT/AC Idler pulley which made the ratteling noises… Especially the ALT/AC Idler pulley made alot of noise.

Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 01.49.17

3 Likes

But you can isolate it by starting your engine after you have removed 1 of the belts, and try to pinpoint the knock that way, if the knocking you actually hear comes from some of those pulleys… Just dont leave your engine running too long without the belts off though :grin:

3 Likes

This is amazing advice, thanks very much for the info, def saving me money! Haha. I will update the thread as soon as I have new information. Happy to have experienced owners of the car I truly appreciate.

3 Likes

Sounds a bit like a flappy belt that balances out at higher revs. I would check all belts first for tension.

1 Like

I am essentially getting my 120k done. Had it at the garage and they are gonna get it done for me. May luck be on my side lol I’ll update after Its done!