Speedometer Problem

Hello all my name is Darius
I have a: (GTO, 3000GT, VR4, TT) 1991
It has the following issue: problem with the electric speedometer, after turning on the ignition, the speedometer already shows 30 miles, even though the car is stationary. when driving, it shows the wrong speed. what can I do , to fix it? thanks

NO HELP WILL BE GIVEN WITHOUT PROVIDING AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE RELATING TO YOUR ISSUE

1 Like

Remove the cluster and the clear plastic cover, refit to the car and on a long clear closed road or better a dyno, get to 30mph via GPS (google maps) or on the dyno speed and then pull off the needle and refit as accurately to 30mph as possible. You can’t set the speedometer to be accurate at all speeds (it will usually always read higher than actual road speed) so best to set it accurate to 30mph and not worry about being over any speed limit.

Hello Darius and welcome to the forum. Ave you tried to replace the speed sensor on top of the transmission? Its under intake and turbo pipes, just in front of the battery on the transmission it has two wire connector. The sensor is expensive but i think you can get one from ebay or rockauto. Hope this will help

2 Likes