Slight play in steering wheel

Hello all my name is Lee
I have a GTO SR with an aftermarket steering wheel.

I just took my car to get a wheel alignment after fitting 2 new front shocks and tie rod ends.

They wouldn’t do the alignment saying the steering wheel was loose.

Its only got about 1-2mm play - and has had the same for many years now.

Ive checked the centre nut and thats tight.

Any suggestions if thats ok or will it need to be looked at further? thanks

Not much help but mine has loooads of play, i’d say about 20mm at the very least, My local tyre place did an alignment anyway but was unable to get the steering wheel centred. If the u-joints and track rods are ok then the play has to be within the rack.

Although 1-2mm sounds like nothing at all.

1 Like

Its strange as I had it aligned a few years back and had the same amount of play - just a little bit of movement. it drives in a straight line but the steering wheel is bit off centre, thats all the problem is. thanks

One or two mm free play is acceptable at the wheel as long as there is no mechanical noise, if your steering wheel is just off centre then any garage worth using would set your steering wheel in the straight ahead position with a clamp that mounts on the steering wheel and pushes into the seat squab to keep it in that position, and then adjust both left & right track rod ends to the correct setting on the wheel alignment gauges.

If your alignment is correct with the steering wheel off centre, you could try to put it straight yourself by loosening off the lock nuts on both track rod ends, mark the outer with tipex with a line at the top on both and move each the same number of turns but in opposing directions IE: 1 clockwise 1 anticlockwise. As to which side goes which way depends on your steering wheel position.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. The car drives straight, its literally just the steering wheel thats a bit off centre, turning to 11 oclock. I will have a go at adjusting the tie rod ends and see where that goes. Thanks

Years back I see (I think) 5-7mm play was normal in the shop manual. If you got play in the rack yeah it ain’t never going to be right.

1 Like