Rear view camera install

Hello all my name is: ROM
I have a: 1999 3000gt
It has the following issue: There is no place to run wires from a license mounted rearview camera without drilling a hole. I would like to avoid drilling if possible. Rear panel was removed but was unable to find access for wires.

NO HELP WILL BE GIVEN WITHOUT PROVIDING AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE RELATING TO YOUR ISSUE

Hi Rom,
I removed the boot lock and fitted the reverse camera there.

Hi Rom

When I fitted mine I used the rubber wiring grommet that supplies the rear number plate lamps, once you have pushed the wiring grommet through the rear panel to the inside of the boot/trunk area you can force the plugs one at a time through the grommet so the actual extra diameter is just one wire thickness (in my case).

It is then possible to refit the grommet complete with old and new wiring back into the panel

Hope this helps

2 Likes

That looks good Enda. My rearview camera attaches to the licence plate so this may not work. Like how it looks though.

1 Like

Thanks Brillo for your input. I’ll have to see if this will work. In any case, thanks for your response.

My camera had two plugs one for power and one for Video, but they were separate leads joining into one single cable going to the camera its self. the moulding where the two leads joined was no wider than either of the plugs.

I used a pair of external circlip pliers to stretch the wiring grommet open wide enough to get the plugs through one at a time and then the moulded joiner, this then leaves only one additional single cable going through the grommet

I have attached a photo of my camera connections, these will go through the grommet with lubrication and persistence

Best regards