Rear ECS Shock absorber Bump Stops

Hi All

I don’t know if anyone can help, In an ideal world I would like to get 2No Used ECS Rear shock absorber Bump stops.

But failing that it would be incredibly helpful if someone could photograph one of these bump stops and dimension it for me, Also dimension the tube that runs through the centre of the rubber mountings and fastens against the top washer.

I can not find the dimensions anywhere on line, I would like to purchase a fitting rebuild kit such as the Sachs 802297 Kit, but I can not find any dimensions for the parts even on the Sachs web site.

I anyone can help please get in contact

Hi Brillo, it just so happens that I have the rear subframe dropped and rear shocks out,
So I will take photos and dimensions today and post them up for you, Note that mine are from a 1993 GTO Non turbo, AWD, AWS. I don’t know if they are the same as what you are looking for but I can surely measure them for you. Peter

Hi Brillo please see attached, if I’ve missed something let me know. Also sorry for the quality there is no flash on my tablet.

I took two pics of the large rubber mount which sits inside as there are grooves on top which gives two different heights.

Hope this helps mate.

1 Like

I should have mentioned that the piston is at full extension while pic taken.

1 Like

Hi Peter

Many thanks for all your efforts, you appear to have the Non-ECS shocks the same as I have, you also appear to have the same problem as I do with the bottom Eye fixing in that you are missing the the rubber bushing, I am also missing one of the actual tubes that go on the subframe.

From your photo’s your bump stop has survived unfortunately one of mine was also broken, I have been trying to source a replacement bush but so far I have been unable to find one that is close to the 40mm OD and 27mm ID that is required, I am also trying to source some stainless steel tube 20mm ID 27mm OD, the only standard tube I have found that is close 25mm OD 20mm ID so that may have to do.

Working on the principal that I would be using the 25mm OD 20mm ID tube I have found a Poly bush at Milner Off Road their Product code is THB0003 which has a ID of 25mm but the outer is 44.8mm and I am not sure if they could be squeezed in or not.

The reason for the original enquiry that you kindly replied to was to get the dimensions of the ECS shock absorber Top mount hardware as I purchased two Brand New KYB Rear shocks because I was told on another forum that they would fit, However they most certainly do not as all the top mount dimensions are designed to use the hardware from the ECS Shock absorber but without the adjustment, the Piston diameter on the ECS Shock is 20mm Significantly larger than the Mitsubishi Non ECS shocks that both of us have.

Once again thank you for going to the trouble of measuring your Shock and its disassembled parts

Best Regards

Marc

FYI the rubber bushings in the eyes on mine were stuffed. A local suspension dude welded the eyes off a skyline onto the shocks and they fit perfectly.

Hi Brillo
Yes one of my lower eye bushings crumbled like cheese when I took them off, the other is not much better so I will have to source replacements somehow. The search continues …

Hey Angela
I never would have thought of that !. Although I would like to keep as original as possible, its a pretty good alternative if I can’t find replacement bushings. Thanks for that :+1:

1 Like

Hi Angela

Do you know what model of Skyline these eyes were from, as I have some R32 Skyline shocks and the ID is nowhere near large enough to fit the 20mm mount on the GTO.

Any help appreciated

R33 comes to mind but I’ll try and confirm. We’re under lockdown here in New Zealand so most businesses shut in the Auckland region. Standby

Anytime (said like Predator).

I have just replaced the lower eye bushes on my rear ECS shock absorbers. Like everyone they were not to be found. Initially I went to Superflex but after a few emails and telephone conversations they lost interest. I then spoke to the POLYBUSH ( https://www.polybush.co.uk) design dept and gave them my measurements :-Bush outer 41.64mm and center of 27.20 mm. They went through their data base and came up with bushes for a Subaru wrx. It is not listed in their general catalog but can be ordered,over the phone, as a kit of eight bushes (top Hat type),four tubes and eight washers. £60 next day delivery. Kit Pt No 36AK
Ignoring the top hat part of the bush their bush measures 41.80 mm by 16.50 mm and internal of 24.50 mm.So the two together fit comfortably and the top hat bit then acts against the fitting washer and bolt.Getting the bushes in was pretty straight forward. A bit of pressure around the edge with a small screwdriver and they went in. Once fitted in the shock absorber end I then took a Bastard file and filed the center out to the required 27.20 mm. Filing them out whilst fitted to the shock absorber makes that part easier to do and to get a uniform hole. They go on the car in the morning. Now just have 4 center tubes and eight washers spare!

1 Like

Hi Derek

Thank you for the info well researched, I also tried Super Flex and Super Pro, funnily enough the guy at Super Flex asked me if he had spoken to me before when I gave him the dimensions I required so he had remembered you.

Did not even think of Polybush, I assume you have re-used the Centre tube from your OE shocks which is not a option for me, could I ask you to measure the Centre tubes you received with the 36AK kit OD ID and length it would be really helpful.

Have you done more than one pair of shocks as you say the kit contains Eight bushes

Thanks again for posting this info should be very useful to anyone who has managed to retain the OE centre tube from their existing shocks, I unfortunately had to chain drill the bush out of mine and then carefully cut the centre tube off the mounting.

Please let us know how the rear of the car feels with them fitted

Hi, i’ll come back to you in the morning with the measurements :grinning:

Would love to see photos :grin:

R32 and R33 according to the dude who did it.

Hi Angela

Thank you for checking that out for me, I will investigate the R33 shocks as the R32 ones I have are to small.
Much appreciated you checked for me

Best Regards

Marc

1 Like

Hi Derek

Thank you for taking the time to measure, I will await the results with interest

Best Regards

Marc

Hi,

Rear shocks now fitted. Not to be done on your own.Took all afternoon for a one hour job. Car back end is now more positive and no bangs and thumping on local roads, Now to look at front end etc.
Attached are photos,dimensions of inner sleeve etc as requested.

Shock Metal Inner sleeve.docx (490.7 KB)

1 Like

Hi Derek

They look a really good fit and thank you so much for dimensioning the parts for me, I know I am a PITA but just to confirm the measurements of the Tubes that come in the kit are really that close to the factory ones they seem almost identical apart from the length of the factory tube which is 42.8mm and the kit version at 38.6mm

That being the case I could use the tubes supplied with the Kit and just put a M20 form G washer (4mm thick) onto the mount before fitting the shock and would end up with effectively the same thing.

If you would just confirm those dimensions for the Tubes in the kit I will get them ordered and thanks again for all your efforts

Best Regards

Marc