R12 to R134A adapter for a '92 JDM GTO

Hello all,
My name is Nick and I’ve got a question about doing the R12 to R134 air con conversion on my 92 GTO. I’ve looked at Joe 90’s video which all seems quite straight forward. That is until we get to the adapters. In the video the protective valve cap threads onto the male threaded end of the pipe. However, on my car the pipe end is a female thread and I’m struggling to find any adapters to suit my arrangement.
Do I need to install a male / male adapter first to allow me to use the adapter that Joe 90 was using? Further, I haven’t a clue what threads were used to know exactly how to overcome this.
Has anyone else had to deal with this issue?

Hi all and here’s a follow up to my original post. It turns out that my car was manufactured to use R134A refrigerant gas. I only realised this when I did a comparison check on the service valves which pointed to R134A. Then on a Chris Fix video he pointed out that there should be a sticker under the bonnet to confirm the type of gas used. Okay, so it was in Japanese, but the translation stated clearly it was R134A. Quite surprising, given that the car is a '92. I can only think that the regulations for the type of gas to be used in Japan were well ahead of our own.

1 Like

Depends when your car rolled off the line in 1992, they changed a lot of things from mid '92 so it’s likely R12 was only used mainly in the 1991 cars.