Has anybody recently purchased a Power Transistor Unit J723T which appears to have various Mitsubishi part numbers, MD152999 seems to be the correct item for all our cars, however this is the complete unit, Bracket & PTU ready to fit.
The actual PTU its self appears to be used on other Mitsubishi vehicles, with different part numbers : - MD144931, MD304918, MD349207 and probably others.
Joe was absolutely correct in his video on the ignition system, some of the aftermarket units are total rubbish, I have had personal experience of one of these “Copy” units the one I purchased lasted all of 5 miles before a miss fire started and subsequently the check engine light came on.
By the time I had nursed the car home it was running really rough and would not tick over, so after letting the car cool down I removed the PTU (Which had been fitted with the thermal paste) and the unit came apart all the rubber like insulating material covering the internal components had come apart and the gauge of the wire connections internally was very small.
So If anyone has recently purchased a PTU that they have fitted and are happy with can you please let me know where you purchased from and the part number the seller quoted as I would rather not take “Pot Luck” and order another aftermarket unit that could well suffer the same fate.
Any recommendations gratefully received.
Thanks
1 Like
Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s frustrating to spend the time installing a replacement only to have it fail after a few miles. The information about the different Mitsubishi part numbers and the poor quality of some of the aftermarket units is really useful. Hopefully someone here can recommend a reliable PTU and supplier so others don’t have to go through the same experience.
1 Like
Your best bet, as with a lot of these electronics, is to find someone parting a car and buy one used.
Thank you for the advice, but I would be a little hesitant to buy a used unit, my original (I assume) is from the factory on a 1997 car has failed hence the purchase of a replacement, it was an Ebay purchase, supposedly with a warrenty but as is the scheme of things by the time I had fitted it and actually taken the car out, the Ebay seller was “No longer a member”
How would I know that a used OE unit was going to work let alone be reliable, It would need to be from a trusted source.
Thanks again for the Input
Best regards
A used component still has a better chance of lasting than 95% of the aftermarket pieces out there. I know people that have over 200k on the stock components. I’d rather trust a used stock piece any day of the week.
Buy from Amayama.com an oem unit. They are only available with the bracket. The 3000GT/GTO one is about £170 but you can buy the one for the Pajero which is the cheapest alternate is about £145 but on a different shape bracket - MD349207, but when I tried to order more than one they could only supply just one and the others went onto a 1-2 month delay.
I went through this a couple months ago and at least one of the alternatives is also NLA, so we are, sort of, running out of options.
Andy