New Capacitors in Cluster

Hey, Im Jon from the US (Ohio) I watched most your videos already and been daily driving my 1994 3000gt base since I was 15, Im 32 now so its been with me for a while. Anyhow I have been trying to make it nice again. My cluster has not been working for a while so I took apart the speed sensor on the Trans cleaned it real good and put back together like you said in the video and I got the MPH, Odometer, and Tripometer to work but the Tach was still not working at all. I then swapped out the PTU and now the Tach seems to be reading about half what it should… anyhow it looks like people are saying I need to replace the CAPS and I soldered for the first time yesterday… so any help/advise would be great and a video would be just perfect :slight_smile: Im in no hurry as I know you are busy. I got it running good and looking pretty nice too just needs a couple dents pulled and painted some day.

I don’t think that this is something that I would ever do in a video. I am sure that you will find many videos online that show you how to soldier but if I show people how to replace certain components because they believe that it will solve a problem. I will then be bombarded with messages if it doesn’t solve the problem. If this is not your area of expertise, I would always recommend taking the job to someone who is able to locate the actual fault and repair it rather then replacing a never ending list of parts until you find the right one.

Thanks for your time, I do understand your perspective. Im not sure we have the same resources locally though… our local shops are more of a slap a new part on and go type place, neither would even consider installing new lifters for me. I think if you did videos only on common faults and said your 100% not diagnosing only showing a process it would help a lot of people out. It is easier for me to try several things even buy some new parts than for me to drive an hour to the big city and then have to get a ride back then another trip to pick the car up… and then dealers are charging 165 and hour and local places are 75-100 and they often times are not willing to do what I want and never want to put it back to like new they only want to run in some sheet metal screws into the skirt instead of drilling and tapping and putting in the right bolts they want to get it done fast and sloppy. I will check and see if the local cell phone shop will help me but im not very hopeful. In US cities are hours apart and small towns have very few special shops just big places like walmart. Thanks again I hope I did not sound contraversial and you have help me so many times already. I think the video would help people like me and I would never complain if it did not fix the problem as I would be learning anyhow and if I daignosed it wrong that is 100% on me.

Thanks again,

Jon

I am sorry if my last comment came off as rude at all. I just think its a real bummer not to show people how to do something because some turd blames you for it not fixing their car. I would much rather spend a couple hours on a Saturday messing around with my car learning something than to pay a professional hundreds of dollars to do it for me.

Not a problem buddy. You would not believe the threats that I have had from some people because my videos did not solve their problem or they broke something when doing the job and expect me to pay for damages and money that they spent on parts.
I am fairly firm on this one though because it is quite easy to do serious damage to the cluster if a person is not experienced with electronics.
I have also taken the same approach with the ecu. I am well aware that some people have been lucky with repairs and managed to use online videos to do the job but I believe that for every successful job, there is 9 disasters resulting in a complete write off.
Sorry I can’t be of more help with this one. Maybe someone else on the forum would like to talk about their experience at tackling this job.
I do have some other electrical videos coming soon that I am sure you will use at some point in the future.

1 Like

what do you mean by " Cluster " I have fixed my ECU and Climate control unit with bad caps in them if that’s any help let me know .
We can chat on discord

Chris

Thank and no problem you are the best :slight_smile: as it would turn out I think it was the PTU it just took the computer a minute to register the new signals because for some magic reason my tach stated working properly today on the way home from work lol I would rather be lucky than good. I do still need to fix my lighter socket like shown in your last video but then its just a couple little cosmetic and starting to get ready for paint. A video on how you do a blow out getting ready for paint (like what all part you pull off to paint seperate) then I could go back video by video to help me get them all off without damage.

Supertec I mean the the instrument cluster like MPH TACH TRIP and Odometer but no worries I just lucky and it started working on its own :slight_smile: Really I think it just took a minute to register the new PTU

i did have strange issue with my car someone would start and some would not . turned over all ok not starting . anyways on my car there is really mounted outside the really box under bonnet.
i fitted new one and its been all ok since . standard 12 volt 5 pin really .