Maintenance of the Front Aero Motor

Hi
I was taking apart a spare front active aero motor which was seized solid.
The main motor shaft had a build up of corrosion at the neck where it protrudes from the housing for manual turning and had seized after a bit of water ingress as well as one of the two magnets coming loose and attaching itself to stop rotation.
The other seized bit was the large wheel which has a spline that also sticks out from the housing where the mechanism attaches that also had some corrosion and had seized.
A simple bit of preventative maintenance along with re greasing the long bar and linkage would have kept this running sweet for years.
Worth looking at if you have this on yours.

3 Likes

Good point. Amazing tech for 1990’s right? I recall pulling mine apart a few years back. Mine stopped working due to impact. Like, jamming a curb - and that can bend the metal arm. Good news is they’re pretty durable and I was able to bend it back and clean it up. Works great. Did you get this spare working again?

I have not tried it. I just refurb and repaint all the parts before storing till i need them. There is a bit in the manual about checking these which i might do though.