Maintenance and repair of sunroof

Hi!

My name is Keagan and I have a 1997 3000GT vr4 with active aero and ecs :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m currently living in Denmark but I’m from South Africa, where my 3000gt lives.

I would like to fix the sunroof when I go visit in January.

The issue I have is that the sunroof will not lift unless I give it a slight push with my thumb, and it stutters as it slides to the back. I have greased all the moving parts I can see, such as the rails, with lithium grease but it hasn’t helped much.

If there is anything I can do to fix it, I would love a video on this or if it’s simple, just a guide. I just want to take care of my love :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Keagan
A number of people have asked for videos about the sun roof. I do not have a car with a sun roof at the moment so I am afraid that I can’t help you at the moment. As soon as I get one, I will do the video.
Thanks for your request and welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome!

You will probably find,that due to time,a small ridge of dirt has accumulated along the sunroof where the lid rubber meets the opening.
The sunroof mechanism is not strong enough to push the lid past this lip of dirt,very simple fix,apply some all purpose cleaner around sunroof opening once lid is opened.then apply either quick detailer or wax to keep the paintwork smooth,with periodic cleaning to keep things moving.I also apply vaseline to sunroof rubber to keep it supple
Fletch

3 Likes