Low fuel light ,rust or electrics?

All ready for MOT on thursday but garage guys said plenty of fuel in tank why does light come on.
So I had a watch of Joe taking out fuel pump and I am wondering whether it could be due to casing getting bit rusty when it was stood waiting for recon gearbox about 2 years ago and it took 3 months to sort plates etc same as just happened.
If it was a mini/ford pop I would yank it out to see if arm is bent or connector compromised in some way. But it isn’t and external rusty bits makes me think leave it.
Anyone had this problem to sort?

Maybe the float is stuck at the lowest position and not risen when fuel added. Maybe a few light taps on the tank might release it ? Otherwise could be a failed sender unit.

Apologies . The light is not constantly on but comes on long before it should, probably on about a quarter tank , as I have done just under 100 miles on “reserve” and still fuel in there.
I carry a can now just in case I forget and use trip when light comes on.
However a couple of sharp taps on top of pump whilst I WD40 the rusty bits cant do any harm . Thanks.

1 Like

In which case the float might not be floating as well as it should making the sender unit think the level is lower ?

Going to work with tap on tank and top of fuel pump till MOT all cleared on Thursday. Then might drain tank to see how much crap/rust in it after 30 years.

I had a similar experience on another car once, on the fuel pump was a part that attached to the float, that is a part of the sending unit. Replacing the part cost about $5 and cost me about 30 minuets of my time.

Thanks for info . All ogged in for after MOT on thurs. Will let you all know if and when sorted before taking pump out. Get top spray tues/weds/and thursday and wire brushed and under pipe coupling whist on ramp for Mot