Loss of clutch fluid

Hello all my name is Gary
I have a 1992 non turbo GTO which loses clutch fluid its not consistent some times it will go weeks without the need to top it up but yesterday it dumped the complete reservoir while stood overnight. There is no obvious sign of a leak so I can only assume its ending up in the gear box. Any ideas guys?

1 Like

Off the top of my head, I don’t recall the hydraulic line going into the gearbox. It may be pooling on the top of the box. It is common for it to leak where the rod pushes on the clutch arm. You may need a new clutch servo but check that this is where the leak is first.

1 Like

Hi Gary

To check if your slave cylinder is leaking you will need to remove the battery tray to get visual access. If you can not see any Brake fluid around the slave cylinder

or on the gearbox housing then you may have the same problem as I did which was that the Fluid was leaking from the Master cylinder inside the car, you would need to look under the dash at the top of the brake pedal where the pedal attaches to the Piston of the Master cylinder. mine was leaking from the piston shaft on the master cylinder.

Worth a look

3 Likes

The clutch system barely takes any fluid so what seems alike a big loss is not very much at all. Mine always has a small drop on underside of the gearbox which I thought was the rear crank seal. Then one day the clutch went straight to the floor. Removed the battery tray and a few bits and there was oil all around the clutch push rod. Moving the rubber sleeve, fluid was coming out easily. There is also a small area ontop of the gear box where it can collect so you don’t notice the leak till it too late.
You can just see the cylinder in the centre of the picture between the gear change cables and hoses. I replaced the cylinder and cleaned up the whole bay and no problems since. Replace the gearbox breather whilst you are there. There are two different types so check carefully. Also replace the small o ring in the clutch damper which sits just above that hexagon shaped splitter in the image. Then bleed the whole system with nice new DOT4 fluid. There are two two bleed nipples. The first one to do is on the clutch damper and the next one is on the push rod you have just replaced.

3 Likes

Thanks for your interest Joe I’ll check it out.

Thank you guys for the information which was very helpful the photos in particular made life easier. The problem was the slave cylinder leaking. As you said, remove the battery and battery tray, I disconnected the screen wash bottle from the tray and moved it to one side. The cylinder isn’t in the easiest location to remove, I had to disconnect the feed pipe to access the lower bolt and trying to get some pressure on the bolts to crack them open after 30+ years was a bit of a challenge. I also replaced the fuel filter whilst I was at it. Many thanks again for your help.

1 Like

A crowfoot spanner size 10mm would make life easier to remove the bolts

1 Like