Knocking engine sound

Hello!

My name is Jami, and my car is -94 non turbo base model. I bought this car couple of years ago. It was been unused several years. It started up, but not with all cylinders back then. I checked fuel line and a tank, it was completely rusted inside, so I change a tank, fuelpump, fuelfilter and fuel injectors cleaned and tested by professional, I even have a test sheet for them. I also change new spark plugs, timing belt + fittings. Okay after these car started fine with all cylinders. Then there was only a ticking sound left, so I changed valve lifters and that sound was gone. I used this car about 1500km with no problems. Couple of weeks ago I started it in the morning, and notice that everything was not ok. It wasent run well and had a knocking sound, day before everything was fine with no problems. So the fault occur in the night when a car stands in my yard. I checked timing belt and it was ok. One more thing, I notice a strong fuel smell when started. I think it still starts with all cylinders. Any idea? Many thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Jami

Forget to mention, there are no engine light on, and did not found any fault codes. I have not run engine very long time, I dont know how fast engine light goes on and fault code appears.

Ok, I have now cleaned and checked the cam followers, and they seem to be ok. Hydraulic lifters were pressurised, so guess they are ok too. Lifters are only 1500km old, but nowadays you dont know what kind poor quality parts you get, even they were advertised as OEM high quality. If the engine light does not go on, and there are no fault codes the problem must be mechanical, maybe a conrod, loosen valve seat or guide. I will try to make a video about the knocking sound.

Check the hydrualic tensioner and do a leak down test

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I have check the tensioner, and to me it looks ok. And its a Mitsubishi part. Though I have bad experience with hydraulic tensioner… few yrs ago I bought a timing belt set, tensioner, pulleys, water pump and belt, after about 1000km tensioner went floppy and broke valves, but thats differfent story and different 3000GT.
I notice that topic car has quite low oil pressure, I have an original pressure gauge so cant say exact pressure. I bought an oil adhesive, and try that today to see if it has any effect on the sound.