Hole in front of lower intake manifold?

Hello Sylvain here an I ran into a little surprise when I was cleaning under the Plenum. There is a hole in the lower intake manifold and it’s not plugged with anything. Looks like something was there. Hope it wasn’t my fault with the compressed air. Would anybody know what’s going on here? Doesn’t appear to be melted? Search the web and didn’t find anything on it.

I have a: 1992 Stealth TT AWD

Well after further inspection discovered an other hole. Guess my Intake is fried. No wonder nothing was coming up in search results and it’s probably the cause of my occasional bucking/hesitating problem.

Hey, this intrigued me so I started looking at photos online. Take a look at photo 2 on this site:

Similar looking holes seem to be present. I think it’s just a messy area of the casting where material has tried to bridge between the external surfaces of two runners. I could be wrong, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with your intake manifold. Cheers

2 Likes

Gosh I hope you’r right. Did fit a rubber hose in it and went deep. I’ll probably end up buying a Endoscope to check inside the hole. I’m not starting the engine until I know what’s going on.

1 Like

An endoscope would be a useful piece of kit, I’ve been meaning to get one myself. If you did have a hole of that size in the intake manifold, I would’ve thought you’d have a pretty noticeable boost leak. Do you have any loss of power, poor idle etc.? You could try pressuring the intake system to be absolutely sure, but you’ll need some sort of adaptor and a source of compressed air. Cheers

1 Like

Had zero power lost it worked like a charm. Seen the holes after cleaning under the plenum with the compressed air and thought I’d caused it. Bought an Endoscope, will check inside and hope I don’t see valves. :grimacing: The pics you’ve shared helped a lot. thank you. I’ll post pictures of inside the hole.

No problem. I went out today to put my battery on charge and took a couple of photos of my, somewhat crusty, intake in the same area. You can see the same gap between the external surfaces of the runners and messy casting finish. My car is running ok at minute, so I hope this goes some way towards allaying your concerns :+1:

2 Likes

@Joe90 do you have one of these spare laying around at the moment to confirm?

Thanks buddy. Huge weight off my shoulders. Just did a test with a piece of paper while the engine was running. The paper did not move. Mold flashing confirmed. I’ll still look inside when my Endoscope arrives. Will clean that flashing off with a Dremel tool when the time comes to change my hydraulic lifters for better ones. Thanks and Cheers :+1:

1 Like

No problem mate, glad I could help. I’ve never seen a Dodge Stealth in the flesh, but yours looks like a stunning example by the way :+1:

1 Like

I must agree with Matt, Having read this thread I had to check and exactly as Matt has photographed the scruffy holes in my Intake Manifold are there and the car is running fine (Touch wood) I have a Endoscope and will check what I can see tomorrow weather permitting

Very interesting thread

2 Likes

Took some pictures with my Endoscope. Everything is fine. Poked that hole with it and went right through the other side. Thanks for the help guys. :+1:

1 Like