Hard start and dies

Hello all my name is: James
I have a: (GTO TT)
It has the following issue: some of you may have seen my post on the GTOUK forum and I’m looking for ideas to solve a strange problem.

So I refurbished the rear underside of the car and put a new Stock TT fuel pump and all new rubber hoses on the fuel tank. The rear section of the exhaust was still off the car ( the back box part) I put fresh fuel in and she started up and was idling happy with no leaks or noises.

The following day I finished putting the car back together rear exhaust and bumper etc… she struggled to start and idled very lumpy and popping a little. So I turned it off - I went back later and she was very hard to start then you can give it a little throttle but this doesn’t help and the car runs for a few seconds and drops back down in revs from 2 - 3k and then dies…

The electric parts (plugs, leads, coils, PTU) are all new i think it probably an air/ fuel thing. But looking for ideas/ suggestions.

Cheers

NO HELP WILL BE GIVEN WITHOUT PROVIDING AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE RELATING TO YOUR ISSUE

Hi James, you describe the problem as being hard to start, lumpy and popping. Those were the same things I was getting when a mechanic fitted a timing belt kit in my car and it had skipped a few teeth, probably not your problem and maybe you’ve already checked but worth a look maybe.

2 Likes

Have you connected your fuel return and vapour hoses correctly? If you’ve undone the rear end and replaced hoses it’s possible to mix those two connections?

I double checked that - I’m leaning to the fuel pump not 100% seated in the tank - and leaking internally into the tank causing low fuel pressure and or low fuel supply. It’s a stock pump on stock sender but have another complete sender unit that I’m going to swap back in and see what happens- just need to get back under the car!

You could detach the pipe that goes into the rail into a a bottle and crank it and see how quickly fills it up it should give you an idea then saves you removing all the pump from the tank,should fill a 2 lt bottle fairly quick

Issue resolved- swapped the old fuel pump assembly back into the tank and she fired right up. So suspect it was not fitted/ sealed right inside the tank so loss of fuel and pressure.

Morale of the story when it stops working after you’ve been playing with it - start from the last thing you did :+1:

3 Likes