GTO in Basildon

Hey guys, hope you’re keeping well.

Thought I’d introduce myself, Vince from Basildon, UK, a proud owner of GTO 91, N/A

Nothing fancy about this car, owned it sinc

e last year, it had been off road for about 10 years (kinda barn find) , so it is totally original, albeit the vinyl wrap.

The condition is in line with its age, so gradually going thu restoration, just changing and upgrading some bits and pieces,

Some pics attached.

Not hoping too much but maybe someone will recognised it from years go?

And a separate and special thanks to Joe for doing all those videos, makes our life so much easier!

I’d probably join the other guys requesting the videos on changing the camp belt, it is up for doing on mine and I’d rather do it myself. Tho I know it is in not for the faint of hearts, but as long as you see and know what to do…

Again, thanks all for participating this forum.

@ Joe - what’s you background? You certainly doesn’t look as a man at home when it comes to these cars. Have you been a mechanic at Mutsu dealeror someth?

Anyways, glad to join this forum, and looking forward to participating.

Cheers
Stay safe
Vince

3 Likes

Hi and welcome. Yeah I agree it’s great to have someone like Joe to show you the work actually being done.

Unusual color looks good though :+1:

Just a wrap, originally black :slight_smile:

The engine bay, just hooked up a KnS air filer and a new battery, the rest is as from

factory

And yeah, the exhaust . as many of them has a straight stainless. My neighbours always know when I leave and come back :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Vince
Welcome to the forum. Great introduction. It’s always good to hear a bit of history. The cam belt is on the list and engine videos will be starting soon. The virus has slowed down the video production but I am still trying hard to do one a week. I will also be doing an introduction video about myself soon as so many people have asked and there is also a free competition for forum members. Stay tuned. Joe

2 Likes

Thank you Joe. Really a big thank you for arranging all this - videos & forum. Our cars are getting a rare sight these days, so having a dedicated video and, thru the forum, a written log, helps enormously to upkeep our babies :slight_smile:

Speaking of the upkeep, not much of a headache the car has given me so far, except for one case when ECU died. I mean I know about the capacitors issue and stuff and having some electronics background I was quite relaxed taking it it out, getting kids soldering iron hit until… well until I opened it up and discovered that half of the board has deteriorated , and that was not the capacitors leaking. In all my years working in the electronic I have never seen such a case that looks like it was submerged in an acid (like in a typical battery leakage cace) but in this example - noting even remotely close in that area but still, looks like that circuit board got a lot of corrosion from somewhere. Mystery. It was not salvageable in the end, so eBay came handy with a listing for a replacement one.

The current project is to get a decent sound in the car

Hi Vince! Great car and clean. I have done some Ecu capacitor work too. I have a few 3000GT Ecu not working, and one with a big hole (from burning) in the pcb! Sure it caught on fire, failures in this kind of Ecus seems to be fatal… capacitor leak seems to be the common issue, almost everybody sure will have.

Hi Vince,

Liking the orange wrap. I have a faded red GTO that’s had a poor paint job at one point so I’m in two minds to try and polish it back to a reasonable red, totally strip it and get a full respray or choose some random colour and wrap it.

Wrapping gives the option to try some different colours!

Did you do it yourself or have a company do it? I’d be tempted to try it myself but it would be trial and error.

Hi Gamster

Nope, was done a long time ago by somebody else, like 10+ years ago before it was put in a long storage. So I don’t even know what the quality of the paint is underneath, so dunno if it was a cover up for the pain flaws or just somebody wanted to change the looks, but it was done to a fairly high standard, including the bits like matching colour calipers and other nice finishing touches; but anyways must say I’m glad it was wrapped and not any dodgy repainting done.

As for your contemplation, if the respray is really dodgy (paint runs, bubbling etc), preparations of the surface for a proper wrap will be nearly same as for repaint. If DIY the wrap - well… dunno, can be attempted for sure. Not a rocket science in there but there are a lot of tricks/technics to know in order to succeed. I once on another car was considering diy wrap and after watching hours of tutorials eventually gave up on that idea. Wrapping in a shop - cost would be not far from repaint.

Anyways, the choice if yours :slight_smile: good thing about wrap is that it is quite a durable finish, always stays nice and shiny :slight_smile:

Good luck with your project

1 Like

Your wrap does look very well done and I did spot the matching calipers!! Also, having the original colour as black is handy for the engine bay staying the original colour.

On my car there are a few small sections where it looks like the new paint has chipped away and the original paint can be seen underneath. Not sure if that is the case but that’s what it looks like anyway.

You’re right about the prep work but at least with a wrap the prep work can be done to a good standard and then wrapped whereas a full respray needs to be prepped and finished off to a much higher standard.

I know someone with a paint booth so need to look into the option of borrowing that once I have the time. If I do decide to get a respray I’ll follow Joe’s videos and remove all the parts ready for spraying.

I do like the idea of trying a new colour but the engine bay would remain red.

Hello Vince, what is the brand of vinyl wrap and the name of this color? I think it looks awesome and would love to have the same for my 92VR4
best regards,
SAMI