Fuel leaking from charcoal canister

Hello all my name is: Dave
I have a: GTO, ‘92
It has the following issue: I’ve just put in an after market radiator and a range of replacement parts to aid cooling, thermostat, rad cap, hoses, all of the back of a beat up radiator and a leak, 5 days in to my GTO ownership!

That’s got my overheating issues under control but having been for a first drive, I park up with a big leak - petrol is gushing out from under the charcoal canister! Only a 1/4 tank of fuel in the car, been sitting for 3 weeks while fixing my overheating issue which - while not a red herring - was probably not my original leak.

What’s the cause of the fuel, is my carbon canister knackered, why would fuel be leaking from it?

Thank you in advance

Hi all, any thoughts on the above?
I should have mentioned that the car was starting to struggle the last 200 meters home - as it started to pour out fuel (I could follow my path back from the trail).

Make sure all the fuel lines are connected in the correct way. Double check fuel return line isn’t going to the carchoal canister.

Thanks for the reply, from everything I’ve read this seems like the most likely scenario.

However, I drive 150 miles back with the car when I first picked it up back in June and didn’t suffer a leak. A few subsequent local drives (within 10 minutes each) were fine too.

The last two journeys have seen the leak - the first 4 weeks ago poured out on parking up only (no trail and then as soon as put in to reverse, a big puddle and starts pouring out). The second, a 20 minute drive and the last 200m, started to stutter and leaving a fuel trail before pouring out even more when parked.

I did drive very conservatively that first journey back (55 on the motorway as my temp gauge was climbing), but if the lines were connected wrong I thought this would have happened during that long drive?

Thanks again for your help

Are there any other thoughts on this, all insight and possibilities appreciated to help diagnose and fix, thank you

@3KGT whats the best way to check the fuel lines aren’t the wrong way around? Does the tank need to be dropped?

No you should be able to identify the 3 lines under the car just behind the drivers rear wheel (UK). The main fuel line is a flare fitting the return and vapour lines are push fit. The return line goes to the front of the tank - you can feel it if not see it from underneath the car. The vapour line goes via a non return valve ( access via the boot) to the top of the tank.
Basically only one of the push fit lines should have fuel.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s really helpful

This what you’re looking for.

If you have done work near the radiator I suspect you might have disconnected and mixed up maybe the vacuum line to the charcoal canister, so maybe you are actively sucking on the fuel vapours into the charcoal canister and eventually picking up fuel, rather than the charcoal canister just naturally absorbing pressurised vapours that come from the tank.

@madluka thanks for your reply!
My hose on the bottom is going to the tank, the top hose is going up to the throttle (shown in photo), is that the correct way around?!

Any detail on whether these are the right way around is greatly appreciated. Looking to address this issue with a replacement charcoal canister in the next couple of days but don’t want to get this back to front, thank you