Frustration during renovation, but some good update now

Good luck finding an original exhaust system… I have been looking for 2 years, and I still have not come across one, but when you need that many parts, then a possible option would be to search the salvage yards… Perhaps they have a complete car there which has engine damage from where you can get alot of parts from.

Thanks for the suggestion . I will keep my eyes peeled for a salvage car. Perhaps ebay?

Yeah that might also be an option

Got the damn rear window trim off today after finally sourcing the clips that hold it, and I can say as Joe said: DONT TAKE IT OFF!!
The trim itself came off relatively unscaled, but every single clip got smashed… They were super brittle, but atleast I got some good news that there is very little rust under there… I am just wondering how the heck do you install the trim back on??? The clips attatch to it but also go under the rear window :thinking:

Yes same problem down here in New Zealand. Virtually every number “4” bolt in the front of the car that was holding panels, lights, radiator brackets, bumper trim etc was heavily corroded and seized. After initially shearing off at least 3, which then required careful drilling out followed by picking out the remaining thread (I tried removing the stumps with “Easi-Out” high tensile devices but found these useless) I became very good at removing them out without breaking. The trick is to use a good spray of WD40 or CRC penetrating oil and then apply very small twists back and forth using a fixed socket. Every time you do an undo twist, just push it that little bit further. Keep doing this back and forth all the way until it completely frees up or is completely removed. DO NOT think when the bolt initially starts to ease up, that you can simply start to unwind it like other bolts. These things are VERY mild steel and prone to breaking right to the last twist. Be methodical with this back and forth process. Each bolt can take several minutes to remove, and there are lots of bolts!! But getting them out intact, albeit slowly, still beats the hell out of drilling them out. I then took all my nuts, bolts and brackets etc to an electroplater for re- zinc plating (some black but most gold as per OEM) which has really cleaned up the look of the car and will protect them for another 20-30 years. Before reinstalling the replated bolts, I used an appropriate tap to clean out the rust of each chassis bolt thread.

1 Like