Follow up on active aero tray

Will the access doors also be made?

Already have these made.

1 Like

The 3 flat access panels are pretty easy to make as a DIY project: Front Active Aero Tray Restoration - #28 by UselessPickles

@jensen360 or @Joe90 any updates on the trays? Do you know when you might be bringing one to market? Watching with significant interest! :grin:

I think that the whole world is waiting for these.
Sorry for the delay in replying but I was hoping to be able to surprise you with the final product.
The last I heard from Jensen was his post on here. I have written to him for an update but he has not replied.
I am going down the original vacuum formed route and was expecting to have a final product by now. The investment has been huge because I want to do them at my own manufacturing facility. The first forming was last week and I am sorry to say that the mould fractured on the first attempt.
I was trying to save a couple of thousand pounds by using fibreglass to make the mould even though I was warned that it would not withstand the huge vacuum pressure and guess what? They were right.
Because of the massive investment so far, it is too late to turn back now so I will now pay for another company with proper CNC equipment to make the mould for me and I hope we will have something in a couple of months.
This is a highly complex part to produce because we don’t have the original drawings and the trays that we are working from have suffered 30 years of damage and warping so it takes a long while to get a perfect finish. Please be patient and you will be rewarded. I am not interested in doing a makeshift item. It has to be as near as possible to the original as can possibly be produced or I won’t bother at all. All of the plastic sheets are on my shelf and waiting to go. I will update you again as soon as I have something significant to update you with.

8 Likes

Hi everyone,

we are ready to produce AA trays now, EU version with panels to attach the side air dams. Should also be goo for any other version.

They will be made by thermoforming (Tiefziehen in German). The mold is ready to go.

Of causee this does not look as nice as the CFK variant, but they should work well.

Currently we would like to learn how many item we could sell, so please contact me if you are interested, I will forward the information (without obligation) to thy guy who produces them.

My email address: [email protected]

Thanks and greetings from Berlin,
Stefan B.

3 Likes

Joe,
Any updates on yours?

I have put mine to one side for now. I have too much money tied up in other parts and I also have some personal issues that I need to take care of first. I will return to it some time in the future but at least there is other options available for now.

2 Likes

Jensen, I’m hoping you’ll get these to me soon. We must all recognise the enormous amount of effort that goes into producing a part of this size.
If nothing is available by the summer, I already have a company on standby to make them for us. They will, however, be made of plastic rather than carbon fibre. I prefer to keep things as authentic as possible.

1 Like

Hi everyone, we are near the production state now. Stay tuned for more info soon.
Regards, Stefan B.

2 Likes

Joe I realize this post is 6 months old now, and you have responded about putting it on hold, but I used to work for a facility where we vacuum molded things. Our biggest product was drop in bedliners for the international market, but we also formed targets for the US military at one point and did other one offs. You could always build a mold out of wood.

Wood wouldn’t last forever, but it would last for enough time to make enough to sell. One of the big things you have to factor in is shrinkage. The wood mold limits your ability to control that, and between it not lasting, and controlability that it the biggest downfall to using wood, but cost would be far less expensive than having a mold CNC’d.

The best way to have a mold made though is to have it cast, and then in the casting process have coolant lines cast into it. This allows you to use a water controller to control temperatures of the mold to aid in controlling shrinkage.

Now, its been several years since I worked at the facility, and I wasn’t necessarily on the production side as much as I was on the planning side, but once you’re ready to jump back into this if you have any questions I’d be glad to at least try to help.

2 Likes

Hi Brian
Thank you for the advice. I have not gone any further due to one thing and one thing alone. There are at least 2 other people saying that they are in the final stages of making these. I am hoping that they succeed. Production of any part costs a lot of money and time I have limited resources and time so I am directing those towards the parts that are needed and not being made elsewhere. The covid chaos has delayed so many parts that are in production and tied up a lot of money. When these parts are finished, I will look at the next most desperate items that we need and go from there but I really don’t see the point in competing with others that are helping us to keep our cars alive. If they don’t have any success, I will review things in the future.

4 Likes

Makes perfect sense.
Enda

Hi Gearheads,

I am pleased to inform you that the announced Active Aero Aprons are
available now!

For the German folks, please visit
https://forum.3000gt.org/viewtopic.php?p=1953#p1953

The price for one peace ist €850,-, and shipping within the EU costs
€35,- additionally. Shipping to non-EU countries will be calculated
individually, but we will support you as much as possible for finding a
cheap and reliable transportation service or organising collectiv
shipments.

Please contact either me (brun (at) 3000gt.org) or the producer
himself, jean-pierre (at) chello.at (Austria).

Payment is possible via PayPal or bank transfer (I suggest wise).

For any questions, feel free to ask!

Best regards and take care,
Stefan B.

Does that aero tray also come with the different covers under it?? The middle cover is especially the one that often goes missing for many

Holy cow, I mean it’s nice to see a project like this come to fruition - but this’ll work out around £1000+ for any UK buyer (assuming some shipping + import duties + VAT) - I’m not sure sure there will be many takers at that cost.

I think interest will be low at that price unfortunately, I understand that reproducing a part like this is massively expensive but most owners will find this an indulgence they can’t justify, especially when the car will run perfectly fine without it. Also has the price gone up?
I could swear the post said 800 the other night.
Enda

Update: The AA aprons are sold out, sorry.
It is unknown if there will be another lot.

Regards
Stefan B.