Disk brakes information

Great but first i will check locally coz these days shipping is too expensive.

Almost no one resurfaces rotors any more. For the cost its just as easy to replace them. As has been said already warped rotors are a myth. You can fix thumping brakes with a few hard stops to clear out the pad deposit build up that causes the thumping. That alone solves the need for resurfacing. I can drive for YEARS on the same rotors because I use the brakes properly and donā€™t get the thumping, and on the occasion that I do, I literally take the car out, and essentially do a modified bedding procedure and no more peddle thump.

1 Like

Most people replace the rotors only because the convenience of not having to take them to the machine shop. Cost difference is, $15 for resurface power rotor and $40 per new rotor. Iā€™d personally would do the resurface if it needed it, but almost never need to resurface if breaks work properly and your not replacing pads after they lose all their pad.

I would prefer to change them because they are full of rust, its the Best way to have a brand new rotors but refurbish calipers and change brake lines.

Up to you, itā€™s your car, but resurfacing will remove all rust and leave then practically bran new. The only reason I chose to change mine was I wanted drilled and slowed rotors to help keep the brakes clean and cool while driving.

They have rust even inside the vented areas thats why, regard the grooved ones everyone said they make noise es.

I have grooved and drilled and donā€™t have any noise, usually noise comes from improper pad installation (usually with the brake shims).

I see, different people different opinions. Im confused now lol ill see what i find locally

Also machine shops lathe the rotors in a solution the concerts rust, and rust still in the groove so due out and be converted into an anti rust barrier.

I will check that out also. Whats best i will do. Many Thanks for your help.

I think the point is if the rotors still have the neccessary thickness or not. Even if a rotor is rusted slightly but not seriously with deep corroded spaces then usually it is not even need to change them as it is enough just use the car with the old brakes and with some few harder but not brutal braking/stops the brakes will simply clean the rotors themselves and at their relevant part the rotors will be again shiny and ready to normal use (as other wrote it already), then still it is possible to change the other parts of the brakes if someone will do that or feel the neccesity, all of the other things are just optical/aesthetic differences. Of course there is a stage when the rotors are resurfaced already some times or was need to eliminate deeper ā€œholesā€ and it is impossible due to their lost thicknes and those are too thin now to repeat the process again because of safety.
The factory brakes are a bitā€™ underpowered on these cars in my opinion, so maybe it is worth to change the discs and brakes, but not just because if those are rusty, I meant not if to fix their complete look isnā€™t the main goal.
Also, I experienced a few times at these cars that when the brakes became hot and in winter the car went into the icy water, then the discs slighltly bent, and then the brakes started to ā€œhitā€. A simple resurfacing resolved that issue all of the time without any changes in brake performances.

The brake lines otherwise maybe worth to change, and a steel braided line can mean noticable difference in break performance compared to an old factory line which has its age and can invisibly increase its inner diameter at the increased pressure at breaking. I myself better change the break lines first before I even touch the discs if its not a must, even if otherwise the breaks are working seemingly normal. But this is just my personal experience and opinion and we have of course different sights and goals.

Nice opinion you have, you are absolutely right, maybe i will upgrade to grooved discs and change brake lines and refurbish calipers so that brakes are in perfect condition, it is nice to speed up fast but more safe to stop in time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yesterday i went out for a drive having fun speeding a little bit, but when i pushed the brakes the car started to tremble and shaking alot. I couldnā€™t stop the car as it should, it was very scary I donā€™t want to wreck the car or kill myself. Any suggestions on what happened?
Many thanks

Again you have brake pad deposit build up, or what people call warped rotors. You can either replace them, because it sounds like you havenā€™t yet, or take the car out and do a ā€œbrake scrub.ā€

Haha they suppose to arrive this week and change them. But the trembling is becoming much worse. It feels like an earthquake hit the car.

Finally the day has come and changed the disc brakes except the front right one coz to my luck one front disc came wrong. I have to wait another month for delivery. The car needed wheel alignment, i drove it a little bit from the mechanic to my garage and already felt much more better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes