Crank pulley tool

Hi guys :slight_smile:
Where would I find a crankshaft pulley lock tool in the UK?
I am changing my timing belt at the moment, and already took the old one off, as it was loose and it skipped a couple of teeth. So I cannot use the starter method by cranking the engine while holding the crankshaft bolt fixed.

Thank you,
Regards

1 Like

Or,
Is it possible to use the engine crank method IF the cam gears are in the resting position?
I assume (but I am not 100% sure) that when the cam gears are in the resting postion, all the valves are up (shut) ?
If that is the case,then I can crank the engine with no problem and get that bolt out, and this would save me a couple of ££ and time.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few years ago I got one off @Joe90 - if he still has them I’d suggest waiting and buy one. If not you could make one out of 10mm steel and a few stainless steel pins to fit in the crank pulley- I know a few people have done this. I wouldn’t recommend cranking the engine with the cams locked in place.

1 Like

You can also make one not to difficult

1 Like

If engine is in the car, and trans is too, you can put a large screwdriver in the vane of the rotor and let it pin against the brake caliper. I have broken many pulley bolts loose this way, and even torqued them the same way.

1 Like

Well worth making one of you have access to a welder (or someone with one).

If you do make one. Make sure to use appropriately sized bolts that go most of the way into the holes on the pulley so they don’t bend. This is the one I made. I welded washers on the inside to strengthen the hole

1 Like

Craig from USA, I would ask Joe, I purchase one from his website. I think he lives in the UK. His crank balance removal tool is much more rebust than the other one. So contact Joe he can ship one out to you.

I have purchased the tool from Joe.
Outstanding quality, this will last 100 years.
Even my cat approves it :slight_smile:
Thank you guys and especially Joe.