Clutch fluid bleed

This doesn’t seem like an especially complicated thing to do, BUT as with many things with the 3000gt the space under the hood is limited. So a video in how to best access the bleed nipple would be great. I’ve read a few other forums but words aren’t as good as seeing the video on how best to do it.

Love your work.

Hi marty
I have 3 cars waiting for new clutches so I will try to get this video in at the same time.

2 Likes

Thanks Joe

(Marty, from Australia)

Hi Marty,

I’m restoring my 3000GT/TT (1st Gen UK spec). Like you, I would have expected this to be a simple and straightforward task.

Most of the websites covering the 3000GT/GTO only refer to there being a simple master/slave cylinder arrangement with a bleed nipple on the slave.

One or two sites reference a clutch ‘Damper’ device near the slave cylinder with its own bleed nipple.

However, mine has a slave and TWO dampers each with bleed nipples! Not to mention the 2x3way junction boxes and mess of snake-like pipework. See the attached picture. I have no idea why this design was used and even less about idea about how it all functions! It seems, like a lot of things on these wonderful cars, to be over-engineered? Its even more complicated by the time you factor in the clutch vacuum tank under the front subframe and the various other clutch related flexible hoses and fixed pipework around the plenum/throttle body/firewall.

I have never seen any of the workshop manuals covering this configuration.

I hope Joe may shed some light on this in his future clutch related video.

Good luck with your project and I hope your car has the simpler arrangement for the clutch.

To Joe - keep up the great work you do for us all.

Regards
Paul

3 Likes

The clutch damper was supposed to make for smoother engagement. My NA US spec only had one. Had being the key word. Years back I had a problem with a line going to it and bypassed it completely. I go from the master straight to the slave now.

Not only does the clutch feel more mechanical, but it is much easier to bleed.