Chassis - small hole

Hello all my name is Lee
I have a GTO SR
It has the following issue: I was topping up the underside with Lanoguard at the weekend and noticed near the edge a soft part - I removed the rusty part and seen a small hole. under the hole I can now see clean metal. will the need a welding job pretty quickly does anyone know? (the underside doesn’t look nice in the pictures as its got fresh Lanoguard applied). thanks for your help!

It is very difficult to make a true assessment of the job from the pictures mate. Everyone will have a different opinion on this one. It looks to me that you have a number of issues there that could do with a close up opinion. Rust is never a good thing and you must make sure that you identify the cause of the rust before treatment. Did it rust from inside out or outside in? If it were my car, I would fabricate a new section to go in there rather than try to patch a hole but that is just my opinion from what I see in the picture. It would be a opportunity to repair the damaged sill at the same time.

2 Likes

It certainly looks like a bit of welding is needed- also a repair to the sill you can see someone’s jacked the car up and crushed it. This opens the underside of the car up to water which can cause rust so definitely something to fix as soon as possible :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies! I think it’s definitely rusted from the outside. Also, what is the silver metal underneath - is that a second layer of the chassis (the inside section)? If I get it welded - can they bend the sill back into place too? thanks for your help - this is all new to me and I want to understand how to fix it properly. thanks

Parts of the floor pan and sill are multi layer so you may be able to see the layers behind. The sill should easily take the weight of the car so if it has crushed, it would suggest that the metalwork is corroding and needs to be replaced. All of this work will be decided by your budget and the skills of the fabricator who does the work. You can make things look like new (costly but good looking and permanent) or patch and bodge it (cheap to do but only a temporary fix and will not look so nice.
Just my thoughts based on the work I have seen on many cars.

1 Like

Thanks Joe, I will take it in this week to get checked. The car means everything to me so I want a permanent job on it. thanks again

That’s the drivers side front isnt it? The floor is double skinned there but to do the job safely the drivers seat needs removing, the carpet pulling up and the body wiring protecting or pulling away.

Someone has been jacking the car up incorrectly and over time it has bent the sill lip, stress fractured/punctured the floorpan. The sill lip will probably straighten up.

1 Like

Hi, yes that is correct. I wonder why someone has been jacking it up so close to the middle of the car to bend the lip. Can I ask why the seat and carpet need removing. Is it because of the heat from the weld? Just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks for you’re help.

Yes. Heat from the welding will set fire to the carpet. There is also a wiring loom that runs along the edge of the sill on the inside. As previously said by another member, it is essential that you remove the seat, carpet and wiring section near to where you are welding or you will be left with a burnt out shell where your car once stood. This is also a good reason to have the job done by a skilled person who can replace the whole damaged area in one go rather than keep stripping the car to do little patches. If done correctly, you will not even notice the repair, the sill will be jackable again and the repair will last many years. I recommend using zintec coated steel sheet if doing more than a patch as this will give better protection inside the car where you can’t paint.

1 Like

thanks for the information Joe - really appreciate it! I have it booked in for next week so hopefully it will go well! thanks