Carpet Replacement

I just wanted to ask what people have done to replace the carpet in their cars. I have a 92 VR-4 with the tan carpet the needs replacing, and I have gotten some carpet samples from a couple of auto carpet websites and I think they all look pretty bad compared to the original carpet.

Or if anyone has some tips for deep cleaning the OEM carpet (mine is in the worst condition imaginable, the car was sitting outside for years) that would be appreciated as well.

If you have super bad carpet, stained, holey, Moldy… replace them. Take them out, measure them and go buy some carpet that you like. Trace, cut, and replace. It’s not a hard job, but it is time consuming. If you have minimally problematic carpet, take it to be cleaned. I just bought my 3000 gt and on the whole it has been very well maintained, however, it had old man smell :joy: I couldn’t stand it. The carpet and leather looked clean, but I cleaned the leather and carpet anyways, by hand using a moist towel soaked and then wrung out with mild soapy water. As I cleaned it, the water in the bucket turned super dirty even through the leather and carpet looked clean. When I was done, the old man smell was almost gone. I did as Joe mentioned in one of his videos and conditioned the leather with Maguires leather product and boy, that has a very nice new car smell to it! My car interior has been restored! it took a few hours but it was definitely worth it. I did it by hand to minimize risk of water rusting the metal under the carpet.

1 Like

One more thing, if you want to deep clean the carpet, TAKE IT OUT to shampoo it. then you can clean the metal under the carpet where mold may have attached itself to as well. If you clean it in the car, moist carpet is a breeding ground for mold. Leave the carpet out until it is completely dry. To kill microbes, I use boiling water. It’s best quality is that it is Non toxic, just be careful not to burn yourself and of course not to melt any plastic. Test it on a piece of an unexposed area before you pour boiling water on anything you are unsure of it material make up. Defending on material it could melt, fade color, etc… if it causes problems, find the right product for the specific problem. If it’s just dirty, find the right shampoo. If it’s moldy, find the right mold killing product… best of luck!

1 Like

Hi there, If Goldwolf’s advice still does not bring them up to the top standard you are looking for and you are absolutely positive that you want to replace them. Then these guys might be able to help you. They have the templates for most car carpets, If they don’t have the 3000gt listed, they may still be able to source and supply. It might be worth looking into and they are very reasonable about price too. https://www.carcarpets.co.uk/

1 Like