Braided Brake Hoses

Hi all I am looking to replace the flexible hoses on the GTO with Braided lines, but looking at the set up does anyone know why there are two flexi brake lines on each wheel linked by a Hard line, I can not see the point, what is to prevent you fitting one longer Braided Flexi hose and doing away with the Hard line and two unions that are potential points for a leak.

I have done a similar conversion on the Clutch system so the link between the Clutch Master and the Clutch Slave is one braided flexible line doing away with the Block that is mounted on the gearbox casing, which I was told was designed to soften the clutch return (but this maybe just hearsay) but with this block out of the equation there are only two connections to get fluid tight and makes Bleeding much easier (in my opinion). also It may be my imagination but the Clutch feels more positive.

So can anyone think of a good reason why I could not cut out the Hard Pipe on each corner for the Brakes.

Feedback would be gratefully received

I’m theorizing here, but I image that the sidewalls of the rubber flexi brake line have more ‘give’ than the hard line and so swell ever so slightly under the hydraulic pressure, reducing brake feel and possibly efficiency slightly, hence you want to minimise how much you use. I think that’s why Mitsubishi put the hard line between the two rubber flexi brake lines. As for replacing the three pieces with a single section of braided line, I can’t see a problem with that so long as the length is long enough to allow for steering and suspension movement without putting the line under tension. I think that the sidewalls of braided line don’t have as much ‘give’ as the rubber flexi hose, so feel shouldn’t be impacted in a negative way. I believe plenty of kit cars out there have been set up purely with braided lines (no hard line) without issue. Again, this is just me theorizing so it would be good to hear from someone who has experience of using braided lines in this way. Cheers

I would also be grateful if anyone can definitely tell me the Thread size and pitch for the brake lines where they bolt into on the front and rear Calipers have read various answers on different forums but would like to know the true size.

I have a couple of points to add into the mix but I think that the first is the most important.

1. If you alter such a safety critical part from the manufacturers specification, your insurance may be invalid and if someone is injured as a result of the modification, you could be sued.
    That aside, I don’t see any reason why you can’t go to braided.
  2. Why change what has worked perfectly for the last 30years and reduce the value of a classic car.
  3. I trust that a car producer such as mitsubishi knows what they are doing. It would be unusual for a manufacturer to add parts that are not deemed necessary as it adds to cost.
  4. running long lengths of rubber hose may reduce performance of the breaking system. (maybe)
  5. The clutch may seem more positive because you have replaced old perrished rubber hose with new firm hose.
    Anyway, that’s my thoughts.

I was thinking about this a little more and I think the standard configuration was designed to meet safety requirements. A single piece of rubber hose would have to be relatively long to allow for steering and suspension travel. A long unsupported hose may rub on surrounding components or snag, it could be tied to the strut for support, but that would probably create a concentrated point for wear. There may also have been requirements/regulations on how long unsupported sections of safety critical lines (brake, fuel etc.) can be, hence the need for the middle hard line piece attached to the strut.

1 Like

Hi Joe

I hear what you are saying with the Brake lines and I had not thought about the possible insurance implications, I was only looking at the performance side of things, I have another car too which I have fitted Braided Brake hoses and it does firm up the Pedal feel, as far as the clutch goes, the replacement hose is a Teflon inner with a stainless braided and PVC outer direct from the Master Cylinder to the Slave and again the pedal is firmer with the Factory rubber hose removed, I had problems getting the air out of the Factory Clutch damper system and found it much easier with that removed also, It does not appear to adversely effect the the operation of the clutch.

Hi Matt

Yes you could well be right, a rubber hose over the whole length may well be problematic as it would be longer than any factory rubber brake hoses I have seen, whether it would be to long for a Braided hose I really don’t know, I had not considered Joe’s point about the Insurance issue.