Base models are cars too

My car is a base model but I enjoy it even though it;s not the turbo. Many tell me I need to lower my car. I’ve replaced struts and shocks, is there a way to lower with the lowering springs and is this difficult to perform… You’ve taught me much btw

7 Likes

Hi Mike
The car looks amazing and I love the base models. They are easier to work on, more reliable and cheaper to run.
I am not the person to ask about any mods because my personal opinion is that they should not be modified if you want to keep the comfort and reliability.
I know that others will have a different opinion and you should hear from the rest of the community before making your final decision.
Thanks for joining the forum and I hope to hear more from you.
Regards
Joe

5 Likes

@windsilo Hi Mike, most people lower their cars for the looks, also the cost to replace full suspension with OEM is higher and hard to get. The name GTO says it all, the car is designed for Touring and the key factor for this is comfort, therefore the GTO OEM suspension does exactly that. My car is lowered with aftermarket shocks and springs, at the end of the day is Your call !

3 Likes

Mine is lowered on tein coils but on stock 16" wheels, this gives me decent and comfort

2 Likes

Beautiful and shiny car :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What is the spec of base model

Gtos built for comfort, seriously :rofl:
You must be really short and have a great backbone.

1 Like

I’m an average size person and am fine with what GTO has to offer, you may be an odd size therefore it may not be suitable for you. :wink:

1 Like

Sorry you aren’t enjoying the ride.
I am 5ft 8in and I fit very well. I have standard ECS struts and the car is super comfortable. I have driven from Miami to Denver with only 1 stop for sleep and Orlando to Saint Louis 4 times non stop on each occasion. I loved the ride.
Are you sure your car is standard? By the way, if you are a little tall, it is possible to lower the electric seats by about 2" in addition to the electronic adjustment if it helps.

Sexy sexy car! I agree with Joe. I don’t want to make repairs and maintenance any harder than they need to be because I’ve been to too many mechanics where they mess up different parts so they can make more money off of you. I’ve stop trusting mechanics and decided to do all work myself. I’m not letting another person touch my 3000GT except Joe if I win that contest lol, Scotty Kilmer if he ever responds to me, or Chris Fix. I bought a Base Model myself because I’m never going to race it… I am not trying to beat a corvette. I just want to look Fly when I’m driving and boy oh boy do people turn heads as I’m rolling by! I love It!

3 Likes

Hi joe, I was just reading up on the base model and I was wondering if you could confirm: is the base model v6, 3L, SOHC 12 Valve engine Non interference???

If so, Another reason to love the base model!

1 Like

Different people understand the base model to be different things. The one I had, was V6 SOHC 3L but didn’t have such sporty side skirts and bumpers. Most people in the UK are not aware of the 3 main MK1 versions that you had in the states because we only had the 3000gt TT so they often refer to the Japanese GTO DOHC non turbo as base model.

5 Likes

Absolutely, I think the car comes well balanced as it is but I have done some aesthetic mods to the lights and interior but nothing to change the dynamics

1 Like

I have done some bling to the engine bay but have kept all original parts. It’s kind of calming working in this car. I just do not want to get obcessed.

1 Like

I plan on it one day, I recently bought and added new struts, I now wish I had used coil overs.

1 Like

how would i know that, on VIN number?

Same here as far as mods just a few engine blings but nothing that cannot be reversed.

I was told the first few gens were dohc including the base models. Is this correct?

Dohc I assume that is what you asked

Yeah mine is a Dohc base and I was told layer base models were sohc.