AC Belt Replacement

Hello all my name is: YellowDog
I have a: 91 Stealth TT
It has the following issue: Changing the AC belt on my 91 Stealth TT. The belt ordered from 3SX doesn’t look the same as the belt removed. Left is old belt. Right is belt received from 3SX. Did they send me the wrong belt?

There is 2 different types of belts. One for the earlier model and one for the later models. You likely bought the wrong one

91 uses a V belt. 92+ uses a ribbed style.

Straight from 3sx talking about the pulley, but still

Check your engine / existing crank pulley prior to ordering and make sure you are ordering the CORRECT PULLEY. The DOHC 91 with the V-belt driven power steering pump and the DOHC 92-99 with the 4-rub serpentine belt driving the power steering pump are NOT interchangeable. If you order the wrong pulley and bolt it to the engine, then need to exchange it for the correct one, there will be a 30% restocking fee on the pulley as well as the shipping charge on the replacement pulley.

To clarify again:
The 1991 DOHC uses a V-belt on the inner channel for the power steering.
The 1992-1999 DOHC uses a 4-rib serpentine belt on the power steering.

stealthee, this is not the power steering belt. This is the AC belt

According to 3SX website…

DOHC Stock Size Crank Pulley 91 Alt/AC - Outer Belt 6-Groove
DOHC Stock Size Crank Pulley 91 PwrStr - Inner Belt V-Groove
DOHC Stock Size Crank Pulley 92-99 Alt/AC - Outer Belt 6-Groove
DOHC Stock Size or Underdrive Crank Pulley 92-99 PwrStr - Inner Belt 4-Groove

It says 6-Groove for 1991 DOHC

There is no V-Groove AC belt. Looks like they sent me the wrong belt. Ugh!

3SX said the V-Belt is a suitable replacement for the ribbed belt. It doesn’t look as durable to me. Not sure if I should use it or not.

https://www.3sx.com/accessory-belts-3000gt-stealth

You talking about this ac belt? Theres an option 1991 v style belt and 1992+ rib style belt. You choose depending on the year of your car.

I received a Goodyear Gatorback belt…which is another concern because Goodyear stopped making these belts years ago. Makes me wonder how old is this replacement belt? I’m replacing my belts not because they are worn but because they are old. I don’t want to replace an old belt with another old belt.

I believe Continental bought the rights to that belt design. This is designed to run cooler. Theses are good belts …run it.

1 Like

3SX has the continental belts listed on the website but when I ordered they sent the Gatorback belts. Goodyear doesn’t make the gatorback belts anymore. Makes me wonder how long these have been sitting on the shelf. I’ll try to exchange them for the new Continental belts

I also ordered a replacement belt from 3SX and it doesn’t look like it will work, but it does. My original belt for my '93 3000 GT, N/A, DOHC looked just like the belt on the left and the 3SX one looks like the one on the right. I replaced mine about thee months ago and the new 3SX one is working fine.

1 Like

NatGarrison, did they ship you the Continental Belt or the obsolete Goodyear Gatorback belt?

Sorry, but I don’t remember. I checked the invoice and the brand isn’t mentioned. Here are pictures that I took today of them on my car. I ordered and replaced both the power steering and the air conditioner belts.

My power steering belt from 3SX is definitely different from what you got. I received this Gatorback belt which was discontinued years ago. Looks like it came from a garage sale.

The 91’s use a V belt for the power steering pump where the 92 thru 99’s use the wider multi-grove belt similar to the air conditioner pump/alternator belt used on all years. The power steering pump belt is much thinner than the air conditioner pump/alternator one though. Your new power steering pump belt does look a little old, but since it only works on the 91 model 3SX wouldn’t sell very many of them.

I’m returning the belts to 3SX. I don’t trust the reliability. Rubber doesn’t get better with age

what did they end up saying?

They said I could return them for a refund…so I sent them back