1993 3000GT 1st Gen Headlamp

Hi all,

I’ve come to yet another full stop on my headlight rebuild - frustration levels are off the scale!

The (original) lamps that are currently fitted are H4’s from Stanley which have an integrated metal bracket on the back for securing them to the rear bezel - unlike the GTO which uses a separate front bezel to fasten the lamp to the rear bezel.

After a day of searching the web, I can’t find anything that has this type of lamp. If anyone has found suitable replacements or devised a workaround I really appreciate your help - or if anyone has any used working lamps I’d like to buy them.

I’ll post a pic of the lamp for info.

Regards
Paulimage0
image1

HMMM… Is it the bracket where the spring attatches to??? I changed my 1991 light from JDM lights to European lights (left hand drive lamp) and there was no problem there.

Hi Johan,

No, the '93 3000GT has a very different configuration - I think this is to accommodate the leveling motor which sits within the rear of the main headlight assembly. I’ve thought about using Hella H4’s with the front bezel from the GTO but, as you will see in the pics, the fastening tabs are on the side rather than the GTO which has them top and bottom.

Regards
Paul

The lamps that were on mine that came from Japan are looking like this… They dont look at all like yours :thinking:

Hi Jóhan,

Yet another variation! No wonder we’re having difficulty finding replacements. Even the manuals don’t show the European type of fittings. In fact I can’t even find a manual that includes the leveling motor. The Technical Information Manual tells the reader to read the 1990 Lancer manual for more information!. Off to see Mitsubishi dealers in Warrington tomorrow to see whether they can offer any help.

I’ve been able to source most parts (or hack around the inevitable problems) for my restoration but unless I can fix this issue my project grinds to a halt after years of work.

Regards
Paul

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the light housing mechanism itself … I am curious to see how yours differs from mine as I am right now in the middle of restoring an extra pair that I have lying around and I got all curious now to see how they differ.

Hi Jóhan,

image1
image2

See the attached pictures.

A is a separate plate mounted on the 4 spring loaded bolts. The two at the top attach directly to the main body of the popup frame. The GTO has a 3 part configuration consisting of (1) a front bezel, (2) the headlamp and (3) a rear mounting plate or bezel. The 3000GT has a two part construction. (1) the headlamp with integral mounting plate and (2) the ‘A’ plate in my picture.

B is where the lamp shown in my previous post is attached to this plate A with 3 screws

C is the headlight levelling motor which is only present on European 3000GT models and is controlled by a wheel on the dashboard with 4 settings 0-3.

D are the bolts for fine tuning the headlight alignment. They attach to arms on the levelling motor.

I’ve spent quite a few hours cleaning/sandblasting and then powder coating them. They look pretty good now but it would be a pity if I can’t solve the lamp problem.

The pictures don’t show the arm that raises/lowers the mechanism. The nylon bushes on my arms are are worn/damaged and I was in the process of fitting the work-around mentioned elsewhere on the site.

I hope the pictures help with your project.

Regards
Paul