Won't start. But getting fuel?

Hi all. I’ve been offered a mk2 TT that’s been stood over 10 years.
I’m told it was started red on a regular basis until recently when it wouldn’t start. No fuel getting to fuel rail?? Any ideas?
Put a little petrol into the front 3 cylinders and it does start and rub for a short time.

What do you guys think. Worth a gamble?

Blown fuel pump fuse ? worn pump ? fuel pump relay ? leaking fuel hose ? are the first things I’d check

1 Like

It’s only a gamble if it’s a lot of money or has other issues. There are a number of us that would buy it from you if you decide its not worth doing but the price would have to be right. You can easily mount up a huge bill if you buy the wrong car or pay the wrong price but also make a few quid on the right car.

2 Likes

Could it be ecu related or is that unlikely?

1 Like

Sounds like it’s not getting fuel. First thing I’d check is whether the pump is running or not. Try giving it 12v directly and see if it you hear it running (1993 3000GT not staring - #3 by Matt). My car has stood for a similar length of time (8 years) and I’ve had trouble with the fuel pump getting stuck due to either corrosion or varnishing of the fuel. I’ve found a couple sharp taps on top of the pump assembly, accessed via the boot, gets it unstuck again. As for whether it’s worth the gamble or not, as Joe said, it all depends on the price and whether there’s any other issues.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t need to be priced too high as it looks like it needs a lot of restoration.

1 Like

If it’s lying up 10 years fuel is probably need replacing.
May not be getting spark, coil pack , ecu , ptu, timing
, the list of possibilities is long, but if the car is solid and intact and its got for the right price, there’s nothing that can’t be fixed.
Enda

1 Like

When i bought main it had exactly the same problem and the fuel pump who’s at fault. Do the car been standing for nearly 10 years with only half tank of fuel
condensation build up in the tank causing the pump to corrod and short out.
Your easiest option do what i did disconnect the pump remove the air filter and spray easy start fru the maf in the intake if it starts for a split second the fuel pump is properly at fault or blocked fuel line or filter.
But be careful because if my hunch is correct you will have to replace the tank sender and pump fuel lines, obviously filter and have the injectors tested and cleaned just in case the suckt any junk from the tank
Regard to all

2 Likes

Greetings all just wanted to join in the thread. Similar problems to mine when I first got it and it sat for 10 plus years. I could hear the pump once the ignition key was in the on position. It cranked up after I prayed a bit of stater fluid via the intake manifold, so no issues with the ignition system or spark plugs, so I simply removed the battery, battery tray, washer fluid reservoir and got down to the fuel filter, I got the filter out then I put back the battery and inserted the key into the on position and saw fuel gushing out from the outlet line so no issues with a super clogged up fuel line. I replaced the fuel filter with a new oem one and she started up and idled fine, and yes all the while I had the shop manual to assist me.

1 Like

and yes I did forget to mention the idle was fine so apparently all the injectors were fine too, later down the road I did a complete injector flow test but decided to send them out for a good cleaning.

1 Like

Tap on the top of the fuel pump with a rubber mallet. Could be some sediment lodged in the pump.

2 Likes

I had the same issue car sat for 9 years .was the ecu .guy only changed 2 capacitors and the 3rd one leaked. Check that first ,could be ptu under coil pack can get them new on ebay

1 Like

Fuel pump most likely will be seized - very common problem for cars that sit for long time due to moisture and vanish in fuel. Can test by connecting direct line from battery positive to the fuel pump test connector plug (black connector, not the larger tan coloured connector) tucked down in the rear corner of engine bay behind the battery to run the pump. If it runs, then it will be the relay. If it doesn’t, then you need to haul the pump out and replace (you need to undo the fuel pump pipe /hose connection under the car in front of the tank in order to get the pump out). While it’s out, syphon any old petrol out of the tank. Check for loose rust scale in the tank, clean it out and consider changing the filter. I’ve managed to resurrect 2 seized pumps by soaking in vinegar +/- hydrochloric acid, however 1 of them eventually re-seized.

3 Likes

I’m sure you/they have gotten it to start by now. Every. Single. Snowbird. deals with this every spring when returning from their southern stay. Gas really gums up the works if it’s left even six months, and it seems like water appears from nowhere; contrary to what you may have heard an engine will not run on water. My BMW Roadster, lawn mower, and pressure washer all suffered until I started using “Stabil”.
If they even started there would be white smoke from the few coughs I could coax from the engine.
First flush the fuel lines and refill with fresh gas. Careful with that starter fluid, though!

1 Like

She’s less than an hour away as I write this…
Excited muchly.

7 Likes