Can anyone help distinguish this engine knock noise

fitting of the timing kit?

1 Like

Full 60k kit with water pump and everything is around $600. If you buy just the tensioner is $125.

If you spent $200 on an entire 60k kit you got a cheap kit, and are probably looking for issues.

o ok Iā€™ll check 3sx site to see if they have one, the noise doesnā€™t sound like a lifter or rod knock?

https://www.3sx.com/mitsubishi-oem-60k-service-bundle-oem-timing-belt-water-pump-more-60k-kit-3000gt-stealth

thx also the motor came ou the next gen after mine which is a 1994 and up, my original motor was the 1993 model is it possible the kit that was purchased would be different than the 1994 and up model of the 3000gt

It is the same kit for all years and models.

1 Like

o ok on the invoice it said timing component kit $200 and had a separate listing in the invoice for hydraulic tensioner which was also 200 I thought the tensioner would be apart of the timing kit

Usually is part of the kit but suppliers can sell how ever they choose.

If your mechanic delivered the car to you sounding like that find a new mechanicā€¦ wow.

3 Likes

A man from the club said that he had exactly the same sound when he turned the crankshaft liners.
crankshaft bearings.

Wow that is a loud clanging noise, not sure but do the following: jack up the car and not using the oil pan please, drain the engine oil, drop the pan and if you know what the rotating assembly is then closely examine it and make sure all the bearings are in its place and look for metal debris in the oil pan. If all is good then examine the flywheel and make sure nothing is rubbing against it, you will need to rotate the engine by hand, so get some help, one will rotate it by hand while you are under observing everything and looking for that noise. That noise seems to me that there is a significant metal to metal contact and should be heard even when the engine is rotated by hand, may it be a spun bearing or other external issue. note this: if the vehicle was immediately revā€™d up passing 2000rpm or driven after it was ready by your mechanic and you did not hear this excessive noise or any noise but gradually heard it while driving then I dont think it would have been an external issue but internal, since spun bearings occur in time and at high rpm and a gradual process from a faint noise turning excessive until to a point you have complete engine seizure. If you dont hear anything while under the bottom then try to hear it from the top, meaning the valve cover, it could have gotten out of time perhaps a faulty timing tensioner or belt which means out of time or skippid a tooth or more so now you have interference of valves to piston top. Not to make anything worse do not start and run your vehicle in this serious condition. To check for bent valves you will have to remove all the valve covers and remove all the spark plugs and use a compression gauge and check all the cylinders. Cylinders with bent valves will have no compression or very low compression depending of how much the valve is bent. If there are broken rings you will see that in the oil pan. Hopefully it is nothing major internally but just an external issue of metal to metal contact or you are in for a rebuild or an engine swap.

1 Like

o ok thx a lot very informative hopefully itā€™s something fixable without buying another engine

1 Like

Sure always willing to help as I have been helped by other experienced engine builders, however, if there is significant damage discovered it is pointless to buy another complete engine if this one can be rebuilt, only if nothing major has happened to the block and heads and that can be examined by a shop once everything has been taken apart and that is the tedious job, everything else can be replaced with oem or aftermarket, but if you are rich and can offered to buy another full complete engine, more power to you.