? ABS light came on when braking hard and stayed on

Hi guys I have a 1991 na , when braking hard I felt a shudder ABS light came on and stayed on , doesn’t come on when I start engine again, is my ABS pump on it’s way out ? Got MOT next week help much appreciated

I’m thinking when you broke hard your ABS activated to stop your wheel locking up and the light came on to letyou know it activated ? If your light comes on for a few seconds only and then goes off as you start the engine all should be fine.

The light stayed on for 20 min till I got home !

The question is does the light work correctly now ?

I will remove bulb to get it through MOT

I did that about 4 years ago and never noticed any difference and never had any problems with passing MOT

You need to scan the fault code(s) to find out why the light came on, then follow diagnostic procedures in the service manual. Anything else would be guessing and throwing parts at it. Or you could disable ABS completely if you don’t care about fixing it (I believe you can simply pull the ABS fuse out in these cars?)

This scan tool is well worth the money if you are going to attempt your own diagnostics/repairs: Stand alone Scantool, communicates to all computers on our cars | Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum

Think it’s a pre scan code ability car 1991 ! Goin to pull the fuse :+1:

You can scan codes on a 1991. See the scan tool I linked to in my previous reply.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me where the ABS fuse is on my mk 1 jap import please

A quick check in the “Documents and Manuals” section suggest it’s fuse number 7, yellow, 60 amp rated. Credit to Titch2000. Engine bay fuse box. bottom right corner. … but don’t quote me on it :wink:

Ye that’s the one ! Many thanks :+1:

1 Like