1st g steering wheel leather cover restoration

Joe, as you know, Many 3S steering wheel leather covers are worn and some have tears on them after three decades of use. I believe the Forum Members would be greatful to have a video on how to recover the leather cover, et cetera. I would appreciate your consideration for this. Keep going on these super restoration 3S videos. Thousand thanks

Recovering steering wheels isn’t a 3s specific thing. It is also very time consuming to do it right. I would venture a guess that only about 5% of 3s owners would want to try to do this themselves. I’m going to send my extra one to Redline and have it done. For the cost it will be well worth it and I know it will look right.

how do you deal with the airbag? Can you re wrap the steering wheel without removing the airbag?

You have to remove the wheel to rewrap it anyway, and to remove the wheel you have to remove the airbag.

oh right now I remember why I never bothered to have mine done. Too scared to remove the airbag.

Its VERY easy. Nothing to really worry about, especially if you undo the battery.

1 Like

My ghetto solution, 20£ for a tailored leather cover off ebay and 1h time. Turned out better than I expected. That’ll do it for the time being…

5 Likes

do you have the link for this?

I am not sure the link you are referring to. Maybe you can post the link below? I am going to have some down time for this GT this Fall. I would like a stock restoration. As such, then, I am concerning having my steering wheel recovered by Dallas Custom Steering Wheel.
See the attached link. They have had some good reviews on another 3/s forum. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjk4cO2wOr5AhVMJDQIHcAhBM4QFnoECAQQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dallassteeringwheel.com%2Fabout.htm&usg=AOvVaw1Y5JSQAR6FoEksOBEt6aXA

Bought here:

1 Like

There are many professional companies that do this type of work. I would strongly recommend using one if you want a quality job. Sorry I can’t help.